General surgery to IR switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamuelTesla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a PGY1 heading into PGY2 in a general surgery categorical program. My medical school did not have IR exposure and it was only recently that I realized how much I love the IR field and all the potential it holds.

I want to switch to IR but I wouldn't know where to start. I understand that the first thing would be to inform by PD. But it's a big gamble because I do not know if I will get an integrated IR program spot if I reapply this year through ERAS. I don't have any letters or any clinical IR experience. My plan was to do a research year in IR after my PGY2, and apply to residency during my research year, which would prove to programs of my interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a PGY1 heading into PGY2 in a general surgery categorical program. My medical school did not have IR exposure and it was only recently that I realized how much I love the IR field and all the potential it holds.

I want to switch to IR but I wouldn't know where to start. I understand that the first thing would be to inform by PD. But it's a big gamble because I do not know if I will get an integrated IR program spot if I reapply this year through ERAS. I don't have any letters or any clinical IR experience. My plan was to do a research year in IR after my PGY2, and apply to residency during my research year, which would prove to programs of my interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The research year could be a big plus but I would only do it with someone well known in the field of IR. Who you know, especially in a small field like IR, is immense. I know someone who failed to match ortho last year, did an IR research year and matched integrated IR this year. As you mentioned, IR residency is anything but guaranteed so consider backup applying to DR if you do end up applying IR. If you really don't like surgery, get out sooner rather than later but be 100% sure that you'd rather accept the risk of not matching into something else than continuing with surgery.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The research year could be a big plus but I would only do it with someone well known in the field of IR. Who you know, especially in a small field like IR, is immense. I know someone who failed to match ortho last year, did an IR research year and matched integrated IR this year. As you mentioned, IR residency is anything but guaranteed so consider backup applying to DR if you do end up applying IR. If you really don't like surgery, get out sooner rather than later but be 100% sure that you'd rather accept the risk of not matching into something else than continuing with surgery.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. Did they get paid during their research year. How does one go about finding research programs.

I would say a better option is to transfer into a radiology residency with ESIR and do IR from there.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. That makes me feel better. Did they get paid during their research year. How does one go about finding research programs.
I agree with dr fluffy MD. If there is a place that has an open radiology spot, look for those to maybe avoid having to go through eras (although we are in June and that may no longer be feasible). The student I'm thinking of did research at the same school they graduated from which happens to be an elite Midwest IR program. I imagined they simply reached out to a faculty member. There's never a shortage of faculty who could use help for research. Not sure if they got paid or not so I can't speak to that. Do you have a regional preference? I could name drop some good programs in different regions

Also, would add he didn't match at the program he did his research at but he matched another elite IR program. He made lots of connections that year and presented at a conferrence which helped him get his name out there

I agree with dr fluffy MD. If there is a place that has an open radiology spot, look for those to maybe avoid having to go through eras (although we are in June and that may no longer be feasible). The student I'm thinking of did research at the same school they graduated from which happens to be an elite Midwest IR program. I imagined they simply reached out to a faculty member. There's never a shortage of faculty who could use help for research. Not sure if they got paid or not so I can't speak to that. Do you have a regional preference? I could name drop some good programs in different regions

I prefer to stay in the east coast

Also, would add he didn't match at the program he did his research at but he matched another elite IR program. He made lots of connections that year and presented at a conference which helped him get his name out there

I was thinking of applying during the current ERAS cycle, but I would be applying for spots in the 2019-2020 year. The only way I can start radiology in the 2018-2019 year is if someone drops out. How do I find these open spots? Directly emailing program directors or is there a better way??

auntminnie.com Resident forums. Spots are posted there sometimes.