Generation X?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jth9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been on a couple interviews so far, and there's been one concept that came up in both places. They've labeled today's applicants as part of Generation X, where people who are focused on family, want to make lots of money, but not work as hard. They have mentioned it in a way that is less than favorable. I felt some pressure to defend myself from being labeled "lazy" even before the interview began.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I was asked a question regarding this topic on a medical school interview. The way that I look at it, it seems that every generation has had a major event which defines their (for lack of better words) "work ethic." I would guess that these events were something like the Great Depression, WW2, Vietnam etc... The question that they were challenged with was how hard they were willing to work in order to promote their way of life, human rights, democracy....whatever. Relatively speaking, our generation really hasn't been "challenged" yet. Our challenges are just now beginning to present themselves...and I think that we WILL be challenged.

So to the older generations... if we are lazy, are you impatient?

When our challenges come, we will be ready just as you were for yours.

...just a thought.