Generic letter from big name or sincere letter from lesser known?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metview

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on a generic letter from a big name vs a personal letter from a junior faculty/lesser known individual? I find it hard to believe that big names (ie. chairman) will go out of their way to write a personal letter when they literally get asked from every single rotating medical student to write a letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately our field is addicted to status.

Generic letter from a big name wins the day. But you might as well get letters from both.

What is everyone's opinion on a generic letter from a big name vs a personal letter from a junior faculty/lesser known individual? I find it hard to believe that big names (ie. chairman) will go out of their way to write a personal letter when they literally get asked from every single rotating medical student to write a letter.

I think a sincere and personal letter from a reasonably well known faculty is better than a form letter from a top chairman... that being said since you submit multiple letters its definitly good to have a very well known name as 1 or 2 of those.. so you can balance it out..

I should add that -- having been involved in residency admission committees -- I have to yet see a letter from anyone but a big name count for anything.

Reactions: 1 user