metview

5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2013
Status
What is everyone's opinion on a generic letter from a big name vs a personal letter from a junior faculty/lesser known individual? I find it hard to believe that big names (ie. chairman) will go out of their way to write a personal letter when they literally get asked from every single rotating medical student to write a letter.

RollTideRadOnc

5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unfortunately our field is addicted to status.

Generic letter from a big name wins the day. But you might as well get letters from both.

Phantom1

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
What is everyone's opinion on a generic letter from a big name vs a personal letter from a junior faculty/lesser known individual? I find it hard to believe that big names (ie. chairman) will go out of their way to write a personal letter when they literally get asked from every single rotating medical student to write a letter.
I think a sincere and personal letter from a reasonably well known faculty is better than a form letter from a top chairman... that being said since you submit multiple letters its definitly good to have a very well known name as 1 or 2 of those.. so you can balance it out..

RollTideRadOnc

5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I should add that -- having been involved in residency admission committees -- I have to yet see a letter from anyone but a big name count for anything.

Reactions: Dare2Dream