genetic component of intelligence -- GPA & MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guppies

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much is the genetic component of the iq scores. From my observation, my daughter has worked very hard for during her undergraduate year, every weekend, break, and vacation but her result is mediocro (MCAT 26, GPA 3.2). My husband and I are both college graduates in computer science so we don't know much about BCPM.
She is trying to be a osteopathic physician (I don't know why) and I don't know if her result is the direct effect of our genetic component which she does not have any control over????

Members don't see this ad.

native(genetic) vs. environmental factors in complex reasoning has been a long and unfinished debate in psychology and other fields. Currently environmental factors seem to outweigh genetic.

First-The MCAT is NOT a tool for testing native intelligence. It is a marginal tool for peer comparison in medical school applicants and wont show how great a doctor one will be.

Second- a 26 and a 3.2 is fair enough for state and osteopathic schools (actually, I see you are from cali which has the most competitive state schools in the nation). Anyway, I am sure your daughter will let you know the reasons for her osteopathic route once she is comfortable with her decision.

As for wondering if your daughter forgot to express her native intelligence during undergrad...well only she can answer that question. I personally HATED undergrad (at least the academic portion) but still studied hard. I have a 3.3 and a 26 mcat and got plenty of interviews and the acceptance I wanted this year. I also wondered if I could hack med school also. But I currently work as an engineer for a fiber optic company. I have shot up the ladder here because I can simply translate formulas into working models, where the 20something phDers here can tell you how your cell phone works, but cant record a voice mail message(seriously). POINT your daughter will excel when she is in HER environment. You dont know what it is, she may wonder if it is medicine, but if you are supportive no matter how many times she changes her mind she will find it.

Thanks for your reply.
I am wondering because we don't have any doctor in my side or my husband side of the family.
On the other hand, I can see when one of the parent is physician then the children is more likely to become physician.
I would never understand a person who give up an engineering career to be a medical doctor but I do know you spend the majority of your life at your job so you must like it in order to perform.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious guppie? Describing your daughter's achievements as mediocre, then misspelling the word with which you berrate her, is ironic to say the least.

Purifyer
Actually, I love my daughter more than life itself, that's why I have the question. I am a faithful reader of SDN. I think I just about memorize all the stats for all the schools in USNEWS. If genetic is the reason then some person may have to work harder than other to achieve the same result. I sincerely hope that all people who wants to be a doctor could become one.