Genetics in Pod school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densmore22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just curious (DMU'ers specifically) how intense is the genetics course(s) that we take? I don't have a real strong background in mammalian genetics (microbiology major) and am curious how comparable it is to an undergrad mammalian (mendelian) genetics course. Thanks.

As a side, I was thinking about reviewing over my genetics book before I start school just to get my brain in gear, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

densmore22 said:
So I was just curious (DMU'ers specifically) how intense is the genetics course(s) that we take? I don't have a real strong background in mammalian genetics (microbiology major) and am curious how comparable it is to an undergrad mammalian (mendelian) genetics course. Thanks.

As a side, I was thinking about reviewing over my genetics book before I start school just to get my brain in gear, any suggestions?

It is just part of the biochemistry class and it is not bad at all. Dr. Schimdt sp. teaches most of it, and he does a good job. I wouldn't be to worried about it.

psionic_blast said:
It is just part of the biochemistry class and it is not bad at all. Dr. Schimdt sp. teaches most of it, and he does a good job. I wouldn't be to worried about it.

I would have to disagree with psionic. Dr. Schmidt teaches some of it but another prof teaches part of it and she is really tough. I have a degree in Biochem and a minor in molecular and I really thought that the genetics portion was the toughest part. That is just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Haffadoc said:
I would have to disagree with psionic. Dr. Schmidt teaches some of it but another prof teaches part of it and she is really tough. I have a degree in Biochem and a minor in molecular and I really thought that the genetics portion was the toughest part. That is just my opinion

Who else is teaching genetics. whats the lady's name.

psionic_blast said:

Cool, good to hear. I'll just study a lot. Thanks.

Haffadoc said:

Not my favorite person to be sure but I didn't think genetics was that bad.

psionic_blast said:
Not my favorite person to be sure but I didn't think genetics was that bad.

For me the toughest part of biochem, but I definitely would not call biochem one of the hardest classes

Genetics was the hardest part of Biochemistry for me as well.