Genetics on the Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wAyRadikull

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is HY Molec/Cell biology and RR Path sufficient enough for the genetics on Step 1 or should I try and read up from Kaplan Genetics?? I think they cover the same things but you never know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes can anyone please give some advice? I'm confused between using Kaplan Genetics and HY Genetics. Thanks!

Looks like I got no takers. I guess I'm just going to stick with the HY and RR combo, do some UW questions and see if I fall short somewhere which would warrant a more thorough read aka Kaplan.

If anyone has anything to add, I'm sure it will help future readers. Thanks.

I'm wondering the same thing but I feel like reading HY for genetics may be overkill given that genetics is but a component of so many different pathologies. Outside of basicly knowing AR, AD, X-linked R or D, Mitochondrial diseases and a few translocations here and there, i can't imagine genetics being a huge standalone. You may have to know it in the context of other diseases and I think First Aid does present genetics with almost everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything seems like overkill at this point. This point being me studying for step 1 and watching documentaries on how the world will end in 2012 (aka the year we graduate) on the history channel. I'll be so mad if that happens haha

bump

taking the exam next week...wondering if it's worth going through the kaplan vids or is FA enough for genetics? i have a decent genetics background, but are the questions ridiculously detailed like some of the UW q? also, anyone get q's on the lac operon? my prof told said not to bother with it, but it came up on UW..

also - any advice on neuro and biostats? two of my weakest areas. kinda freaking out a little....any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

I've started reading HY Cell & Molecular Bio and it seems to cover genetics pretty well. It's not extremely detailed too. So basically I'm doing what McGillGrad said just substituting HY Genetics with HY Cell/Molec.