Genetics or Biochemistry for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazane08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can take either genetics OR biochemistry for spring semester (FYI I'm applying the summer right after). During this time I'll be studying for the DAT too. So I was wondering which is better preparation for the DAT, biochemistry or genetics? I know that biochem is pre-req for some schools, while others favor it. I have my senior year to take whichever class I don't take in the spring so I am not worried about that aspect. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

both are equally important (to a small degree) for the DAT, however, due to the popularity of biochemistry as a HEAVILY recommended course for many dental schools.... I say go biochem

agree with dental works. Both are important and from what I remember, there were more Genetics-related questions on the DAT. The issue is that some (and probably more in the future) dental schools require biochem as a prereq. I say take biochem and just spend more time studying for Genetics when you take your DAT. I had a ridiculously hard biochem professor and I have yet to study for the "biochem concepts" because they're stuck in my brain like crazy. I took both, so I would say biochem if you HAVE TO chose...also biochem is a first year class...so you'll be a little ahead if you take it (if being ahead in dental school is possible LOL).

Edit: Is it not possible for you to take both classes? I think I took Comparative Anatomy (crazy hard) and Biochem and OChemII w/lab all in the same semester. I would see if I could take them both. In the end, you'll be very glad you did!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's absolutely no biochem on the DAT. Therefore, take genetics.

there is very basic level biochem. Like what is the importance of the first step of glycolysis? Where does glycolysis take place? Where does kreb's cycle take place? gluconeogenesis? pentos phospate pathway? etc etc

biochem for sure. Biochem will cover a broader base and if learned fairly well you will be able to use what you learn in biochem on questions that may not appear to be a biochem question to someone that hasn't taken it. Genetics is very specific and because of that not as many question will come from genetics as compared to biochem.

You can't go wrong with either.

Biochem will be a better prep for not only your BIO section but GC as well. However, I have heard rumors of a version of the BIO section that is mostly Genetics so you can pray you don't get that version.

My personal thoughts: Genetics would be better prep for the DAT but Biochem would be better prep for Dental School. Ironic, isn't it?

there is very basic level biochem. Like what is the importance of the first step of glycolysis? Where does glycolysis take place? Where does kreb's cycle take place? gluconeogenesis? pentos phospate pathway? etc etc

I guess it depends on what test you get. My exam didn't really have any biochem in it

The questions on the dat will be so basic taking either course to cover a subect would be overkill.

Do genetics. Although it goes more in depth than you will need for the exam, it will refresh your memory on the details of the central dogma, as well as assisting you with the genetics problems.

Biochemistry...might help for metabolism. But, when I took the DAT, it didn't stress TCA/Krebs, Calvin cycle, etc.

both are equally important (to a small degree) for the DAT, however, due to the popularity of biochemistry as a HEAVILY recommended course for many dental schools.... I say go biochem

The questions on the dat will be so basic taking either course to cover a subect would be overkill.

Yeah, I think taking a class on either would be overkill. I agree with dentalWorks -- I think biochem is more useful in the long run and slightly more difficult. The genetics questions that I had on my DAT weren't really that hard. And I think genetics is easier than biochem to learn on your own (to prep for the DAT).