Genetics required or recommended for medical school admissions?

Started by gullonpick
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gullonpick

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is genetics required (or strongly recommended) for admission to any competitive medical schools at all? Do I hurt my chances of admission to any competitive schools if I apply without taking a genetics class? I might not be able to fit one into my schedule.
 
All (US) medical schools are competitive, some of them do require genetics...you need to check with the "competitive" schools in question.

As a side note: I would strongly recommend taking this course regardless. It is a fairly easy course, and I believe one of the most fascinating courses I took during undergrad. It also is gaining focus on the MCAT.
 
Is genetics required (or strongly recommended) for admission to any competitive medical schools at all? Do I hurt my chances of admission to any competitive schools if I apply without taking a genetics class? I might not be able to fit one into my schedule.

You should check the requirements of each school you're applying to before you apply. Different schools have different requirements. I know that OHSU requires a genetics course, but I haven't noticed any other schools that require genetics. I applied with a chemistry degree, having taken 0 upper division bio classes, and I still made it into med school.

In any case, getting the MSAR or browsing each school's website for the requirements would help.
 
I just checked, and it's recommended but not required for my top choice. (That's a DO school tho, I don't know if it's different for allo).