Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MariaMaria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, for anyone who is enrolled in optometry school I have a question for you. I have already been accepted at ICO and they told me since I'm done with my prereq's and have done well, it will be up to me wheather or not I continue taking additional classes this semester. I have decided that I will take A&P II because I know that will be helpful to me once I get to opt. school.

Do you guys think that taking Genetics would help me during optometry school? Or do you think that it is a waste of my time and money?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, for anyone who is enrolled in optometry school I have a question for you. I have already been accepted at ICO and they told me since I'm done with my prereq's and have done well, it will be up to me wheather or not I continue taking additional classes this semester. I have decided that I will take A&P II because I know that will be helpful to me once I get to opt. school.

Do you guys think that taking Genetics would help me during optometry school? Or do you think that it is a waste of my time and money?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Frankly, we don't learn very much about genetics, however there is I believe a presumed level of understanding, a basic level that you will be re-taught in first year biochem, and have probably already had about four times. So, not really necessary, but I would suggest taking the course for your own development. But genetics and molecular bio are among my top favourites. :D

If you really want a course that will be helpful IMHO... Histology... most people in my class that were not exposed to it before had a difficult time, but that could have entirely been because we had a new professor that we had a hard time adjusting too - who knows maybe its better now??

Thanks. ICO told me they didn't care whether I took Genetics or not but I figured why not ask because I definitely don't want to start at a disadvantage if it was extremely important.

Thanks. ICO told me they didn't care whether I took Genetics or not but I figured why not ask because I definitely don't want to start at a disadvantage if it was extremely important.

I definitely recommend it, for the sole fact that it will give you more background. Then, when you learn some of that stuff in Physiology and Pathology about molecular techniques, you'll know what's going on. When you learn the genetics stuff in biochemistry during first year, you won't have to study as hard and can focus on one of your other two exams that week. The more you do now, the easier it will be for you later. Just my two cents...