George Fox University DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

22Applicant22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at GFU last month. They said they'll release decisions in a few weeks, but I wanted to hear what you guys thought and how you did.

I usually interview pretty well, but that interview was a little intimidating? Anyone else get the spoon question, or was I the lucky sucker?

What' you think of GFU when you saw it in person? Anyone going to accept if they get in? The other programs I've interviewed at had some pretty high end equipment and snazzy toys and classrooms.

Thanks all,

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there on 2/20. It was not my first time interviewing there and the intimidation factor was a little less this time for me. No spoon for me, but there was a paperclip question. I actually really love the program. The faculty seem to have a very warm relationship with the students and I don't think they're going to have any trouble getting accredited. It's the cheaper of the two schools in Oregon, and unlike Pacific, everything you need is in one building. The motion analysis lab is awesome, as is the cadaver lab. A cadaver lab with windows is pretty rare, and even more rare is that the PT students don't have to share the cadavers with nursing, PA students, etc. I will attend if accepted. How about you, @22Applicant22 ? We should have their decision by the end of next week, has anyone else heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
What did they ask about the paper clip? Any thoughts on what they were looking for in an answer?
They handed me a paperclip and gave me a time limit to name all the uses for it that I could think of. I was able to continue talking until they told me to stop. I guess they could have been looking at how creative we are, or maybe just whether we can keep it together under pressure, or critical thinking or something. I'm not really sure. What did they ask about the spoon?

They handed me a paperclip and gave me a time limit to name all the uses for it that I could think of. I was able to continue talking until they told me to stop. I guess they could have been looking at how creative we are, or maybe just whether we can keep it together under pressure, or critical thinking or something. I'm not really sure. What did they ask about the spoon?
Same question but with a spoon... the whole way home I was just thinking, "How did I miss using it as a musical instrument." I'm hoping there wasn't a magic answer though, I didn't freeze and I responded with a list, but nothing super creative.

Reactions: 1 user
Same question but with a spoon... the whole way home I was just thinking, "How did I miss using it as a musical instrument." I'm hoping there wasn't a magic answer though, I didn't freeze and I responded with a list, but nothing super creative.

Same here. I'm hoping that they were just looking for people to not freeze up or freak out. I feel like the interview went well, but I always wish I could have done more!

I interviewed at GFU last month. They said they'll release decisions in a few weeks, but I wanted to hear what you guys thought and how you did.

I usually interview pretty well, but that interview was a little intimidating? Anyone else get the spoon question, or was I the lucky sucker?

What' you think of GFU when you saw it in person? Anyone going to accept if they get in? The other programs I've interviewed at had some pretty high end equipment and snazzy toys and classrooms.

Thanks all,

Hi 22Applicant22,

I was notified of my acceptance into GFU's DPT program 2 days after I was interviewed on the 21st of February. I've placed my deposit at GFU (my top choice for graduate school). I'm excited to start in August. Have you heard anything for the positive yet?

@mv85dpthopeful & @GoM's2015 I got the waitlist too. Sounds like #12 often makes it... I'm farther down the list, so not counting on it. :/

If anyone isn't going, let them know asap for the rest of our sakes. :)

@mv85dpthopeful & @GoM's2015 I got the waitlist too. Sounds like #12 often makes it... I'm farther down the list, so not counting on it. :/

If anyone isn't going, let them know asap for the rest of our sakes. :)

Last year I was wait listed too (not at GFU). There was a decent amount of movement for the first month to month and a half. Hang in there and you will eventually have a opportunity regardless of the schools. Best of luck !

Did anyone else's waitlist email mention a tier? Mine said I was "tier3 #12". There's just one wait list, right?

Did anyone else's waitlist email mention a tier? Mine said I was "tier3 #12". There's just one wait list, right?

I'm also in tier 3. But who knows how many tiers there are and how many people are in each tier. My concern is whether or not the position number is relative to each respective tier.

For example, are there three "position #1s" in tiers 1, 2, and 3? Assuming that there's only three tiers. Or, in contrast (and more ideally for our circumstance), is being #12 indicative of only eleven others ahead of you?

I quickly realized after my second visit to George Fox that it's become my top choice program. That being said, I'm praying for some good news for all of us!

I'm also in tier 3. But who knows how many tiers there are and how many people are in each tier. My concern is whether or not the position number is relative to each respective tier.

For example, are there three "position #1s" in tiers 1, 2, and 3? Assuming that there's only three tiers. Or, in contrast (and more ideally for our circumstance), is being #12 indicative of only eleven others ahead of you?

I quickly realized after my second visit to George Fox that it's become my top choice program. That being said, I'm praying for some good news for all of us!

That's exactly what I'm worrying about too. I sent Cristina an email to clarify. I wish they just gave us a number instead of adding the weird Tier thing as well. Hopefully she'll have good news for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's exactly what I'm worrying about too. I sent Cristina an email to clarify. I wish they just gave us a number instead of adding the weird Tier thing as well. Hopefully she'll have good news for me!

I've been communicating too much with her lately, lol. I hope I'm not being too annoying! She's super nice though, it's hard to not come to her with questions because she's so much more approachable than many of the other advisor/counselors that I've interacted with. :whistle:

It's stressful just knowing that there's really not much that can be done at this point. I wish I had exchanged contact info with some of the students that I met during open house/interview weekend. One of the first year DPT students received news of her acceptance from the waitlist the week before orientation... I don't know where she was on the waitlist though.

Augh. :shrug:

So Cristina emailed me back. She didn't tell me how many tiers there were but she did clarify my overall position. Without the tier junk I'm much lower on the list. I thought I was number 12 overall but that doesn't turn out to be the case. Now I'm not optimistic about my chance at all. :uhno:

So Cristina emailed me back. She didn't tell me how many tiers there were but she did clarify my overall position. Without the tier junk I'm much lower on the list. I thought I was number 12 overall but that doesn't turn out to be the case. Now I'm not optimistic about my chance at all. :uhno:

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm still awaiting my e-mail. I still have many more questions to ask her....

Yeah, I figured as much. I'm still awaiting my e-mail. I still have many more questions to ask her....

We're both in tier 3. Do you mind sharing an approximation of where we stack up to everybody else?

Anybody else accept an offer or on the waitlist for GFU?

I accepted my offer for GFU.

Congrats. Was there a time period in which you needed to accept/put in your deposit? Just curious how long until I should follow-up with Cristina regarding the waitlist positions. Also, if you don't mind, could you share your stats for us? I just want a better idea of how to prepare for next year if things don't work out well for me on the waitlist... You must be a pretty strong candidate after being notified so shortly after your interview! Again, congrats. Hopefully we'll be classmates here in the near future.

Congrats. Was there a time period in which you needed to accept/put in your deposit? Just curious how long until I should follow-up with Cristina regarding the waitlist positions. Also, if you don't mind, could you share your stats for us? I just want a better idea of how to prepare for next year if things don't work out well for me on the waitlist... You must be a pretty strong candidate after being notified so shortly after your interview! Again, congrats. Hopefully we'll be classmates here in the near future.

I'd be happy to give you some information. I was given 1 week to put down my deposit ($200). In regards to being waitlisted, I was waitlisted at Pacific University last year in Tier 2. This year I was accepted, but declined. I don't know how soon you should contact Cristina. I know with Pacific last year, they sent me an update email once per month until August when class started. I would like to think Cristina would do that as well. If you don't hear back by the end of March, I'd check in with her.

As for my stats: I have an AA-DTA from SCC, and a B.S. Clinical Physiology from CWU. My undergraduate GPA is 3.67, my clinical physiology degree specific GPA is 3.83, my pre rec. specific GPA for GFU was 3.84. As far as observation hours, I applied with around 850 Hours. I have held internships in inpatient skilled nursing, home health, and outpatient (private practice clinics). I have observed patient populations of orthopedic, neurological, pediatrics, geriatrics, wound care, aquatic, and sports medicine.

I believe I didn't get in last year because my B.S. wasn't completed at the time of application. I was missing two biology and two physics courses at the time. Thank you for the congratulations! I hope I could help give you insight, or at the very least some helpful information. I hope you have the opportunity to obtain a seat in the class. Best of luck!

I'd be happy to give you some information. I was given 1 week to put down my deposit ($200). In regards to being waitlisted, I was waitlisted at Pacific University last year in Tier 2. This year I was accepted, but declined. I don't know how soon you should contact Cristina. I know with Pacific last year, they sent me an update email once per month until August when class started. I would like to think Cristina would do that as well. If you don't hear back by the end of March, I'd check in with her.

As for my stats: I have an AA-DTA from SCC, and a B.S. Clinical Physiology from CWU. My undergraduate GPA is 3.67, my clinical physiology degree specific GPA is 3.83, my pre rec. specific GPA for GFU was 3.84. As far as observation hours, I applied with around 850 Hours. I have held internships in inpatient skilled nursing, home health, and outpatient (private practice clinics). I have observed patient populations of orthopedic, neurological, pediatrics, geriatrics, wound care, aquatic, and sports medicine.

I believe I didn't get in last year because my B.S. wasn't completed at the time of application. I was missing two biology and two physics courses at the time. Thank you for the congratulations! I hope I could help give you insight, or at the very least some helpful information. I hope you have the opportunity to obtain a seat in the class. Best of luck!

Interesting. We have similar stats including two undergrad degrees, except you have ~200 more observation hours and +0.10 GPA. I probably could have been more explicit about the type of population that I observed on my application. Unlike PTCAS, there really wasn't any area to indicate settings/populations/patient diagnoses (if I recall correctly). I called Cristina on Monday and left a message and sent her an email in response to her clarification regarding the tiers and positions (I was #31 overall, but I should be mid-to-high twenties by now according to the applicants that have posted in various forums). Still haven't heard back from her. Did you apply to GFU last year? I figure that if they added ~4 more spots (or was it six?) to have a total of 40 seats for the incoming class... and if 22 out of 36 from the waitlist were ultimately accepted, then about two-thirds of the waitlist of this year is 30 and I'm right on the edge of that. I'm very determined to get into George Fox this year. I was not waitlisted at any of the WA state schools either, so I have a lot riding on this. At least last year, I was an alternate at UPS and I improved my application by leaps and bounds. But competition is tough.

I heard from Cristina that she'll be sending updates every two weeks, starting next Wednesday.

Interesting. We have similar stats including two undergrad degrees, except you have ~200 more observation hours and +0.10 GPA. I probably could have been more explicit about the type of population that I observed on my application. Unlike PTCAS, there really wasn't any area to indicate settings/populations/patient diagnoses (if I recall correctly). I called Cristina on Monday and left a message and sent her an email in response to her clarification regarding the tiers and positions (I was #31 overall, but I should be mid-to-high twenties by now according to the applicants that have posted in various forums). Still haven't heard back from her. Did you apply to GFU last year? I figure that if they added ~4 more spots (or was it six?) to have a total of 40 seats for the incoming class... and if 22 out of 36 from the waitlist were ultimately accepted, then about two-thirds of the waitlist of this year is 30 and I'm right on the edge of that. I'm very determined to get into George Fox this year. I was not waitlisted at any of the WA state schools either, so I have a lot riding on this. At least last year, I was an alternate at UPS and I improved my application by leaps and bounds. But competition is tough.

A lot of individuals probably have similar competitive stats. In regards to my hours, I was very thorough in explaining my experiences specifically in the provide space in the GFU DPT application. I wanted to leave no doubt, even if I used too much detail. I actually emailed Cristina prior to writing about my settings/populations. I also had two very strong letters of recommendation (in my opinion). It's not just about grades, I believe they want a wide net cast. By the way of our conversations it sounds like you've covered a lot of your bases.

I did not apply to GFU last year because I was not aware of their DPT program. I applied this year because after I did research and went to the open house last October, I really felt a genuine sense of commitment to the students by the faculty, staff and students, as well as a solid sense of community. I trust they will become accredited within the next month. I also like that they have contingency plans in place.

I believe they were going to expand to 40 max - from 36 spots. Maybe, thats for next years cohort though...

I applied to 8 schools and got 2 admissions so I'm very pleased. Remember being on the alternate list though not ideal, is better than not being waitlisted at all. Completely agree, and definitely understand competition is very fierce.

Has anyone accepted an offer to GFU for this years incoming DPT class?

Has anyone accepted an offer to GFU for this years incoming DPT class?

Given the opportunity, I would... :(

I don't know anybody in person that was not waitlisted. Actually, you're the only person that I know who was accepted. However, GFU doesn't seem to have as many applicants as other programs.

Does anybody know of any acceptance offers that have been denied or waitlist positions that have been forfeited?

I am declining my offer of acceptance, so there will be another spot available! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you get in- George Fox seems like a great program. Best of luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am declining my offer of acceptance, so there will be another spot available! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you get in- George Fox seems like a great program. Best of luck! :)

Do you mind me asking where else you were offered admission and where you have decided to attend?

Congrats and best wishes!

Given the opportunity, I would... :(

I don't know anybody in person that was not waitlisted. Actually, you're the only person that I know who was accepted. However, GFU doesn't seem to have as many applicants as other programs.

Does anybody know of any acceptance offers that have been denied or waitlist positions that have been forfeited?

Hello,

Recently I decided to go onto my GFU account and look to see what the enrollment cap was for the DPT program, and I found it to be 36 students. I'm hoping to find other individuals who will be attending GFU this fall. It's proven to be difficult thus far!

GFU doesn't have as many applicants because it isn't officially accredited by CAPTE yet... but I have every confidence that it will be by the end of April. I've conversed with the staff, faculty, and students and I can tell you for a fact, they are, "all in" for this programs success! Besides not being CAPTE approved at the moment, it's graduate school, and it's PT, so it's going to draw in competitive applicants regardless - just not as many!

I hope I made the right choice over Pacific, because GFU and Pacific U were my only two offers this year. I was so one minded last year, Pacific is what I wanted and I got waitlisted, then GFU came into the fold this year and I was split because it was quite impressive. I just went with my gut feeling.

I hope a spot opens up for those who truly want to be there and be part of something new and promising. It's in a great spot of the beautiful state of Oregon, I can't complain.

I got an update email from Cristina today. I've only moved up one spot on the wait list! I thought at least a few people would have declined. :(

Thanks all,

What was the interview like overall? What types of questions did they ask you? Mine is coming up 2/11/17. I know This thread is pretty dead, but anything will help!

What was the interview like overall? What types of questions did they ask you? Mine is coming up 2/11/17. I know This thread is pretty dead, but anything will help!

How was your interview? What did they ask? Any luck on an acceptance?