Georgetown 2008 GEMS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Angie...yeah i learned the same thing a couple weeks ago, bc i called specifically about it. The woman said that they will ask for them WHEN they need them. She did not specify when this would be, but if you sent in your application, AMCAS, 2 LORs and $130 check then you should be fine right now. Hopefully this helps everyone out.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the help Migs22 and Lefteye770

I just got my postcard in the mail, my application is complete. Now like most have said let the praying begin!!!

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let you guys know that I am available to answer questions to help out. I am usually pretty good at returning messages and I will try to help out where I can...good luck in the application!
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
4 more days till the app materials are taken down...has anyone heard anything yet? any calls? emails?

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let you guys know that I am available to answer questions to help out. I am usually pretty good at returning messages and I will try to help out where I can...good luck in the application!
:)

Hello all, this question is open to any current G-town med students/current GEMS students/Anyone applying to the GEMS program. I just have a quick question in regards to the GEMS program. In regards to the recommendation forms, can they be already written without the GEMS recommendation form or is that a must. Also, the validated/verified copy of my 2008 AMCAS application do I print it out and send it with my application.

Thank you for all of your help,

All the best,

Hi TYS10,

Can you give us a brief synopsis of what you have gotten out of the program thus far. What personal weakness did it address for you and how. Strengths or weakness in the program in general. Thanx for taking the time out of what must be a hectic schedule.

Hi TYS10,

Can you give us a brief synopsis of what you have gotten out of the program thus far. What personal weakness did it address for you and how. Strengths or weakness in the program in general. Thanx for taking the time out of what must be a hectic schedule.

This would require a page of endless information :) GEMS has been, and continues to be an amazing experience. Like all of you guys, I had no idea what to expect but that is part of why the program works! I have gained endless confidence and I'm able to learn and master any topic, which wasn't the case a year ago. One of the biggest weakness I addressed in GEMS was discipline for studying and how to study in the first place. The program is well-organized, they have been doing this for decades, and it works!! Everyone's experience will be different and within weeks you will witness a personal transformation. Just take the time to see what exactly you need to work on, why you need GEMS in the first place, and fixing this problem will manifest itself. Everyone in the program will gain something different from it some maybe excellent at studying but bad at test taking, but by the end taking tests wasn't a challenge at all. If you have any other questions just let me know!

Yes you need a verified AMCAS with application. I would send in everything that is requested. Your recommendation letters can be sent in separately from the GEMS applciation form (as long as it all makes it. But you need to designate where the letters are coming from on the application. Hope that helps.

Hello all, this question is open to any current G-town med students/current GEMS students/Anyone applying to the GEMS program. I just have a quick question in regards to the GEMS program. In regards to the recommendation forms, can they be already written without the GEMS recommendation form or is that a must. Also, the validated/verified copy of my 2008 AMCAS application do I print it out and send it with my application.

Thank you for all of your help,

All the best,

what's the difference between a letter of recommendation and an academic letter? and can the two be used interchangeable for the gems program?

what's the difference between a letter of recommendation and an academic letter? and can the two be used interchangeable for the gems program?

The academic letter I believe is another term for composite letter and is the letter that most universities will send on your behalf to medical schools that is composed of MULTIPLE recommendation letters. Most schools do have composite letters while others do not require one. Recommendation letters can be sent from science professors (usually preferred), work supervisors if you have been employed post graduation, etc.

Just a reminder, you guys will get a better idea of the GEMS program upon being granted an interview. My words about the program will do no justice, be patient it is worth the wait.:)

when i talked to the woman at GEMS she says you don't have to send the transcripts in. they will ask for those later...i think at the interview or something

Hi All - I received an email from the GEMS staff: Transcripts are only needed if you have courses on your AMCAS application that do NOT have grades such as courses that you were currently enrolled in the Fall 2007 or were scheduled to enroll now, Spring 2008. They contact you after a review of your AMCAS.

So, if you have courses on your AMCAS that do NOT have grades, you better order transcripts now because you will eventually get a postcard requesting them which probably delays your file.

If all of your grades are on your AMCAS application, you will not need transcripts. I guess they try to save you money and the hassle of requesting transcipts a second time if all grades are on your AMCAS app and have been checked by the AMCAS police -- seems to explain why it's not on the checklist!

Hope this helps. BTW, they updated the website!

Good luck to everyone and I'm praying for interviews for all of us:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So the application cycle for this year is now closed. Now the real waiting begins, although I suspect they will wait until after March 28th (once all applications are due) to grant interviews. I am just trying to forget about it until April, but that is just so hard to do!

Yea, the waiting period is the worst. 3 LONG weeks of waiting. Good luck to all, let us know if you get an interview and i'll do the same! If I get an interview then I hope to see you all at the day of the interview. Take care and I'll post again in 3 weeks. :D

@HOLY SPIRIT: I was asked for transcripts because the course designations on my AMCAS show only course abbreviations and not the course names. I just want to make that as an addendum to your descriptive post, so that some people don't get a shell shock if they are asked for transcript(s) even though they completed their AMCAS without missing grades.

I just got my postcard saying my app was complete...yay! I'm still wondering if they will wait to start making invitations to interview until after the deadline. I hope not! Does anyone know?

@lefteye770: I think they're going to wait until the deadline to start reviewing to give everyone a fair chance. My application went complete on Feb 27th and I still haven't heard anything yet.

lol. i just mailed my package. (overnight mail). and let me tell you that panick has already set in. lol

Yea, the waiting period is the worst. 3 LONG weeks of waiting. Good luck to all, let us know if you get an interview and i'll do the same! If I get an interview then I hope to see you all at the day of the interview. Take care and I'll post again in 3 weeks. :D

@HOLY SPIRIT: I was asked for transcripts because the course designations on my AMCAS show only course abbreviations and not the course names. I just want to make that as an addendum to your descriptive post, so that some people don't get a shell shock if they are asked for transcript(s) even though they completed their AMCAS without missing grades.

Good point RCA. Thanks for the heads-up. Some of my courses have abbreviations so I guess I'll order a transcript now just to be safe. Talk about timing!:laugh:

Hi everyone, I got really excited as I was looking at last years GEMS thread and saw their application cycle closed on March 30th, and they started receiving phone calls for interview invites on April 2nd!!

This is just a few days away for us!! Goodluck Everyone!!

Hi everyone, I got really excited as I was looking at last years GEMS thread and saw their application cycle closed on March 30th, and they started receiving phone calls for interview invites on April 2nd!!

This is just a few days away for us!! Goodluck Everyone!!

That's good to know! And so the waiting begins starting April 1st.

This wait is killing me. Days pass by so slow......

I doing it old skool, busted out the calender and started crossing off days. :D
Man I hope i get a call, better yet I hope WE all get calls!!!!

Good luck my peeps

Hi Everyone. I applied to GEMS as well and the wait has been killing me. It seems like a really great program and after already knowing two people that completed the program and are now M1 and M2's I know first hand that its participants are really successful (dispite my best friend calling me everyday to tell me how much work he has). Lol! To keep myself occupied, I spent the entire night yesterday reading through the old thread to figure out waiting times. I wish everyone the best of luck and I'm sure we will all hear good news soon. Hopefully we will also be claassmates :)

deadline is today!! so i guess we'll start hearing things on monday...*fingers crossed*

I got a really wierd call yesterday morning from Ms. Williams. She called and was like...I need your grades from last semester like NOW so you need to get to a computer and email them to me NOW. good thing I was at home and not in class or I would have been SOL?

anyway...here's hoping we all get interviews!!!

deadline is today!! so i guess we'll start hearing things on monday...*fingers crossed*

I got a really wierd call yesterday morning from Ms. Williams. She called and was like...I need your grades from last semester like NOW so you need to get to a computer and email them to me NOW. good thing I was at home and not in class or I would have been SOL?

anyway...here's hoping we all get interviews!!!

sounds like they've got their eyes on you already, eh? :) i applied for this season too and anxious as hell. :scared: good luck to all and hope we all get interviews too!

Good luck to all as well. I believe the next time we reply will be after we receive the CALLLLLLLLLL. :laugh:

Good luck to all as well. I believe the next time we reply will be after we receive the CALLLLLLLLLL. :laugh:

i really hope so. but i might have a heart attack before then from being too anxious.:laugh:. good luck to all of you guys/gals.

I know what you mean, Monday can't come soon enough!!!!

I want to pose a question to all that applied to this year's GEMS program. How did you hear about the program? I just trying to get some idea of what the application pool is like. I figure that Georgetown undergrads would know about this program.

I got wind of this program from my physiology department. Now here I am.

I found out about it through another schools website on post bac programs. I got more familar with it when one of my classmates went and then my best friend. I'm sure they inform their students about the program but from what I know the class two years ago only had one GT student. But of course I'm not a hundred precent. Anyone else?

I found out about it a year ago by just searching the web. When I applied to med sch. this cycle I listed Georgetown on my application, and in Feb. they sent me a postcard to apply to the program. I'm glad they did because I almost forgot the program was around.

I was wondering if the M.D. admissions office transfers your letters of recs to the gems office (for those using the pre-medical packets)?

I actually didn't find out about the program until I got a postcard from Georgetown early this February. So I checked out the program's website, did some more research, checked out the forums and seriously thought that this program is "the one." hahaha. I fell in love with its mission, strong reputation and the school itself. We'll just have to see if the feelings are mutual. :D

I was up late one night 2 years ago googling on issues in our current healthcare system and somehow ended up on the GEMS' website while clicking on links upon links. I fell in love with the mission's statement, took my prereqs and the mcat. Low and behold, I applied to this program 2 years later. Better late than never, right? :D

when i decided i wanted to go to medical school i knew i wanted to to go to school in DC or around there so I started looking at all the medical schools in the area...when i was on GTs website i eventually came across the GEMS program. I applied a year later.

BTW...less than a day remaining..

Just got a response to my email request for status. They work on Sunday!:eek:

BTW, it seems that the phones are jammed during the week, so you may want to try email from the web: [email protected]

Oh, I heard about the program from a 3rd year at Gtown. My pre-med advisor also suggested that I apply.

Praying for everyone to hear some good news soon.:love:

so i'm assuming they are still looking over the applications since no one has posted anything yet?!?

i'll just continue sitting at my desk tapping my fingers and looking at my phone every 2 seconds.. lol

So I guess they still are looking over applications. Going off the older threads, you would think they would start giving interview offers the Monday after the deadline. It may be Cesar Chavez Day holiday here in California but I don't think DC celebrates that too, right? hahaha. :eek:

I thought I was the only who didn't get a call today. I guess tomorrow is another day.

Hey everyone:

As of last year the first interview notifications (as of someone posting on sdn) was on April 2....about 5 days after the deadline of the 28th...which isnt until wednesday of this week. I just wanted to drop that because i figured you all would want to know. Maybe this year will be different though?

Just my 2 cents...keep praying peeps!

Thanks for the update because I had my phone right next to me the entire day! So here's to tomorrow or the next couple of days!?

Hopefully we will hear something soon! I was trying to explain the whole process and situation to my brother and he was wondering when I would hear about an interview. I told him during the next few weeks I should know something, but I don't want to wait a few weeks! I want to know now :)

I don't get cell phone reception at work either, which sucks, but what can you do. I wonder if they leave messages?

So if anyone gets a phone call post it ASAP so the rest of us can get even more nervous.

I just got a call 30 minutes ago!!!!

April Fools! :D

tomorrows the day...i can feel it!!!

Hello all,

I also applied to the GEMS program this year, and it is so comforting to read that I'm not the only one that is so anxious about that phone call. I must say all the forums here have been extremely helpful. I really hope we all get in!

I just got a call 30 minutes ago!!!!

April Fools! :D

I was scrolling down to find the details of your call when I saw the April Fools:):):):):)! OK, now we will all being waiting today or Thursday or Friday...etc..etc:rolleyes:

i tried to wait till more people posted so i wouldn't look like all i do is refresh this thread all day to see if any got a call..buuuut.... i'm so anxious right now.. last year three people on sdn received a call the first monday...and it's already wednesday and no one has posted yet... this is soo nerve wracking...

anyway...i'm going to work on my apps to NIH as plan B

tell me about it. I have one browser opened to this thread. this is driving me nuts.