You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Georgetown Class of 2010
Started by 5prime23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
One more question ab. housing. Are there many students who opt to live in apts on Wisconsin Ave not too far from campus? I'm looking to sign a lease on one of those apts, and I spoke to a woman in the Carillon House who said that there were many med students who live there. . .but then she said that they went to GU & AU (which doesn't have a med school), so I wanted to post here and see how accurate this is! PLease let me know ASAP! Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GUSOM Class of '10 here, checking in. At 28, married, with kid, I'm going to guess that I'm the least traditional person in this thread to date. 🙂
A lot of talk about living arrangements lately -- I live 20 miles out of D.C., so I won't be much help in the roommate search. I will say, though, that Rosslyn is not far from campus, and the GUTS route that runs between the Metro stop and the school is pretty reliable. I've heard various things about the smaller routes, but almost all of them are solid during rush hour. In a pinch, you could even walk across the bridge from Rosslyn. Metro to campus in about 15-20 minutes. I'll probably buy a montly pass for a garage in Rosslyn and either walk or take the shuttle depending on the weather.
A lot of talk about living arrangements lately -- I live 20 miles out of D.C., so I won't be much help in the roommate search. I will say, though, that Rosslyn is not far from campus, and the GUTS route that runs between the Metro stop and the school is pretty reliable. I've heard various things about the smaller routes, but almost all of them are solid during rush hour. In a pinch, you could even walk across the bridge from Rosslyn. Metro to campus in about 15-20 minutes. I'll probably buy a montly pass for a garage in Rosslyn and either walk or take the shuttle depending on the weather.
ufl02 said:Anybody hear about gtown just recently losing their accreditation for both the cardiology and dermatology programs?
Haven't heard that - where did you find that information?
5prime23 said:Haven't heard that - where did you find that information?
4th year med students who recently matched - one who applied for derm residency at gtown this past match cycle. During the time of her interview they still had accreditation, but luckily for her she matched at one of her other top choices. She did not find out that they lost their accreditation for derm until recently. Info about the cardiology program also came from med students attending D.C./Baltimore med schools.
I go to georgetown and I haven't heard anything about that.
I got the letter accepting me off the waitlist today. I am so excited. I am 24 years old married with a baby on the way. Can somebody give me some idea about the living situation and if Rosslyn or maybe farther down on the Orange line would be the best place to live? Also, I am in at Albert Einstein and trying to decide between the two. Anybody have some advice? 😀
The best place to live would be in Georgetown, but it may be expensive for your needs. Rosslyn is somewhat better, and the further out you go the "cheaper" it gets. Nothing's really cheap, though; I live in a sub-2000 sq. ft. 30-year-old townhouse 20 miles away from GUSOM and it would sell for over $400k today. Of course, Einstein doesn't really have much in the way of cheap housing around it, either.
blee said:The best place to live would be in Georgetown, but it may be expensive for your needs. Rosslyn is somewhat better, and the further out you go the "cheaper" it gets. Nothing's really cheap, though; I live in a sub-2000 sq. ft. 30-year-old townhouse 20 miles away from GUSOM and it would sell for over $400k today. Of course, Einstein doesn't really have much in the way of cheap housing around it, either.
Well, in fact, Einstein does have cheap housing, as it has subsidized housing across the street from the school for $900 for a 2 bedroom. Tough decision.
Kleintje said:So am I! Although I have 3 brothers so I am used to living with guys. Living with girls would be a very nice change though! I have been looking on the web, but havn't had much luck. Most of the places that are posting now seem to want you to move in by june.
Anyone have any advice on where to search for housing besides craigslist and the off-campus postings through georgetown?
Thanks for the help!
Im in the class of 2010 and Im living in a 2 bedroom apartment at 2111 Wisconsin Ave, NW. The building is awesome, it shares a direct stop off the GU bus (free for students) with 2115 and is dog friendly. There is a 24 front desk, pool, gym, roof deck, etc, and there are a number of med students/physios that live in the building every year.
It beats any other apartment building in the area hands-down, is within walking distance (10-12 min.) of both campus and M Street and is in between Safeway and Whole Foods. The free shuttle service is key (for rainy days) as it picks up directly outside the buildings front door (crazy I know).
http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/index.cfm?fuse=wisc
Email me if you have any questions. 🙂
011001101010111 said:Im in the class of 2010 and Im living in a 2 bedroom apartment at 2111 Wisconsin Ave, NW. The building is awesome, it shares a direct stop off the GU bus (free for students) with 2115 and is dog friendly. There is a 24 front desk, pool, gym, roof deck, etc, and there are a number of med students/physios that live in the building every year.
It beats any other apartment building in the area hands-down, is within walking distance (10-12 min.) of both campus and M Street and is in between Safeway and Whole Foods. The free shuttle service is key (for rainy days) as it picks up directly outside the buildings front door (crazy I know).
http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/index.cfm?fuse=wisc
Email me if you have any questions. 🙂
i just got in and i've been looking around. if i decide to live in the city (and not virginia) that is def. the place to be. i have been able to find some cheaper places but they're mad far, ultra shady, or are total dumps.
011001101010111 said:Im in the class of 2010 and Im living in a 2 bedroom apartment at 2111 Wisconsin Ave, NW. The building is awesome, it shares a direct stop off the GU bus (free for students) with 2115 and is dog friendly. There is a 24 front desk, pool, gym, roof deck, etc, and there are a number of med students/physios that live in the building every year.
It beats any other apartment building in the area hands-down, is within walking distance (10-12 min.) of both campus and M Street and is in between Safeway and Whole Foods. The free shuttle service is key (for rainy days) as it picks up directly outside the buildings front door (crazy I know).
http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/index.cfm?fuse=wisc
Email me if you have any questions. 🙂
Thanks for the info! I will look into it right away. 🙂
has anyone still not received their financial aid packages? i have been told i would get it for the past month and a half and haven't. dean ford even looked into it and i still haven't gotten it. anyone else?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
blee said:Try calling the financial aid office directly. They seem to be utterly swamped these days, understandably, but they'd be the best source of info. I know they've been pulling some really late nights to get this stuff out.
if you email Dean Pollock (in charge of Financial Aid stuff), he'll get back to you pretty promptly. Here's his address: [email protected]
congrats everyone and welcome to Gtown!
I just got into Georgetown yesterday and I am definately planning to be there. Is anyone looking for housing and would want to live in some sort of group house or apartment? Please email me at [email protected]. I would really prefer to live with girls, but let me know and maybe we can talk/meet up if you're in the DC area/find somewhere amazing to live! I'm so excited 🙂
hey, i also just got into gtown med and im looking for housing for next year (i went there as an undergrad). if anyone is looking for a male roommate to fill out your townhouse let me know, or if youre looking to go in with me on a townhouse also drop me an email or PM.
hola...i was wondering if people already got their accepted student packets (aka orientation info)..i didn't get anything in the mail yet..
jmacdone said:Did anyone find suggested computer specs from Georgetown? I looked in the accepted student packet and couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
This thread is pretty quiet. Wonder if that means that our class next year WON'T be filled with a bunch of SDN-nerds. 😀 When are you guys all getting in? I live in Arlington right now, and I was wondering if anyone is around and bored and wants to go hit some bars this weekend? I'm also gonna be a first-year, and I know the area.
Hi Future Classmates,
I wont be up there until Aug 3. Once I get there though, I am always up for "hitting the bars". 🙂
I was wondering if anyone was planning on going to the orientation summer beach trip? (there is link on the 1st year page)
As for a orientation packet, I don't know if they send anything. I think they just post everything on the web. But I could be wrong!
I am looking forward to meeting everyone. I hope you all are enjoying your summer!
~ Kleintje
I wont be up there until Aug 3. Once I get there though, I am always up for "hitting the bars". 🙂
I was wondering if anyone was planning on going to the orientation summer beach trip? (there is link on the 1st year page)
As for a orientation packet, I don't know if they send anything. I think they just post everything on the web. But I could be wrong!
I am looking forward to meeting everyone. I hope you all are enjoying your summer!
~ Kleintje
Well, I will be downtown tonight, at Old Glory, probably sitting in the front if anyone wants to have a drink. I'll be there with my gf, and I will buy the first round if anyone stops in. I'll be wearing a maroon Univ. of Minnesota hat. My name is Chad.
Who Are All Of You People??!?!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K