Georgetown Competitive Applicatant Pool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st85

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got the letter from Gtown saying that they are impressed with my file and are putting me in the competitive applicant pool. And that after they have considered everyone they have interviewed they will review this list from time to time. Does anyone know WTF this means? Has anyone gotten this and gotten accepted? Is this worse than the "highly selective" list but better than the waitlist? Ah this is so annoying, 5 post-interview decisions and I get 2 waitlists, 1 continuing canidates list at Temple, a delayed decision at Tufts, and now this at Georgetown. I really love Georgetown and wwant to go there very bad. What I want even more is to just get into med school and get it over with.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like it could be worse than the waitlist because people who are waitlisted are atleast being reviewed now, but this letter says they dont look at the competitive applicants list until they have reviewed everyone who has been offered an interview

Georgetown is very dirty in this way. They put a TON of people on this list, and whoever writes a letter of intent gets in first. So if you want to get in, you have to tell them that you love georgetown and want to give X body part to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding was this is the case for people in the "highly select" pool. But this says I am in the "competitive applicant" list. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Originally posted by Jalby
Georgetown is very dirty in this way. They put a TON of people on this list, and whoever writes a letter of intent gets in first. So if you want to get in, you have to tell them that you love georgetown and want to give X body part to go there.

hmm so there are two different lists?

one being the highly select list and the other being the competitive list?

maybe this is similar to what ucla does with their 2 tiered waitlist.

the people on the top tier still has a good chance of getting in but if you are on that second list...its going to be very tough to get in.

if this is true for georgetown and there are 2 different lists...all i can say is good luck.

So which list is considered the higher tier then?

Originally posted by Elizabeth1028
So which list is considered the higher tier then?

maybe the highly selective list?

not sure from the lack of information that is given here.

I got the same letter.
I dont think that there are two tiers...

I think that the "competitive applicant pool" is just their way of saying waitlist without really saying it.

I think you either get accepted, rejected, or get this letter, ie. it is the waitlist.

I mean is there anyone who has gotten a different letter that said they were "highly select"? I dont think so from Gtown

I just think every school has whatever term they call a waitlist, and uses it. I.e. RWJ of jersey has a "highly select list" that is just essentially the waitlist.

But there is also a wait-list, so that would mean there are 3 lists, "highly select" and "competitive applicant" and then the regular waitlist. This is the first time I've heard of the "competitive applicant" list, could it possibly be the same thing as highly selective but just worded differently. I wish the admissions office was open so I could get an interpretation.

From reading previous posts, and also from waht they said at my interview, i was under the impression that they sent out letters saying you were on the "highly select" list, and then there was also a separate wait-list. And if you got on the highly select list, if you sent in a letter, there was a pretty good chance youw ould get in. I'm not sure what this competitive applicant list is all about though. Perhaps it is just a nice way of saying wait list.

Originally posted by JayMiranti
I got the same letter.
I dont think that there are two tiers...

I think that the "competitive applicant pool" is just their way of saying waitlist without really saying it.

I think you either get accepted, rejected, or get this letter, ie. it is the waitlist.

I mean is there anyone who has gotten a different letter that said they were "highly select"? I dont think so from Gtown

I just think every school has whatever term they call a waitlist, and uses it. I.e. RWJ of jersey has a "highly select list" that is just essentially the waitlist.

to clear up a lot of confusion, i have this message from Mr. Ford

"Thank you for your message. The competitive applicant pool is often referred to as the high priority pool. This pool of competitive applicants is kept under active review by the Committee on Admission as it continues to make acceptances to the entering class. This is an unranked pool of applicants. "

Members don't see this ad :)
Ventulus, thanks for posting the info, that makes me feel a little better, so essentially the competitive applicant list is the "highly selective" list? So I guess its better than the waitlist right? And probably a good idea to write a letter to the adcom ASAP.

Originally posted by ventulus18
to clear up a lot of confusion, i have this message from Mr. Ford

"Thank you for your message. The competitive applicant pool is often referred to as the high priority pool. This pool of competitive applicants is kept under active review by the Committee on Admission as it continues to make acceptances to the entering class. This is an unranked pool of applicants. "

yep, competitive = highly selective. its not the waitlist, just means you arent a superstar and they want to know youre interested and review the applicants again in this category so they dont "waste" accept offers.

Ventelus, Thanks again for sharing the info.

wait so now im confused

i just thought this letter was a nice way of saying i had been placed on the wait list.

I had been reviewed, hadnt been accepted, but hadnet been rejected.
WHat is the difference between this and the waitlist?
Is there actually another letter out there that people are getting saying something different? like you are on the "waiting list" or something like that?

And, is it better to be on this "competitive" list than the waiting list?

I knew someone personally who got a "highly select" letter, and it was EXACTLY the same thing as a waitlist, so that is what i thought this was.

There is definately a letter that puts people on the "waitlist" and it is different from the "highly select" list, it is better to be on the "highly select" list. Now the question is, what the heck is the "compatable applicant list" From ventulus post, i was thinking "compatable applicant list" was the same as "highly select" but if you know for sure that your friend got "highly select" then I dont know what this whole "compatable applicant list" is. Now I'm confused.

I also got the "competitive applicant pool" letter. I thought it was worse than highly select and was procrastinating on writing them a letter. I guess I should get on it if there actually is still a chance they will accept me. Still not sure what it all means though.

So...
How are your chances of being accepted after getting this letter?
Anyone have any experience with this?

How many people are put in this category vs. the waitlist...?

And is there anyone with real evidence of this other "waitlist" letter?

Is it possible the "waitlist" just hasnt been officially created yet, and so its still possible for us to be waitlisted from this "competitive" list?

i have lots of questions

I really dont think that there is a waiting list. I think there is just "an applicant pool" which may or may not have tiers (highly select vs competitive). These applicant pools are basically the same as a waiting list, but i dont think there is a separate letter saying waiting list.

Does anyone remember how our letter is supposed to be written? I think there was a specific suggested format. I searched for it but couldnt find a thread with the information. Any help would be appreciated :D .

I'm pretty sure there is an actual "wait-list" letter that goes out.

dear ST85 and all others in waitlist purgatory,
sorry to hear about your waitlist (or 'highly selective' or whatever it is they are calling it to keep the whole process unintelligible).
when did you interview at gtown? when did you take the mcat?
i am trying to deal with my own pile of waitlists (still haven't heard back from gtown, but after all the others am starting to assume that's what i'll get) and was wondering who else is feeling trapped by this no-mans land of waiting.

have you written your letter yet?

i don't remember them saying exactly what you should put in it, but i would think you should say things like: gtown is my top choice because ___. these are the things i've done recently to improve my app: ____, and here is why gtown is the best fit for me and why i am so amazing that you'll want to snatch me right out of your evil 'highly selective/waitlist' land.

good luck! keep us posted
n

So are we back where we started, not knowing if "competitive applicant list" is the same as "highly select"

I think if there were two lists they would have said something...

I think they just consider being on the waiting list a decent position, and thats why they are "impressed with your candidacy"

If there were a highly select list above this, this letter wouldnt have been so positive, or would have at least mentioned the higher list I feel.

It sounded like a formally worded standard waitlist letter to me, minus the words "waitlist". I dont think there are any other lists, just the "competitive applicant pool" = wait list.

I think they use that term because it better defines what it is, it is not an ordered list they are drawing from, it is what the guy described it as, its just what this school does when you dont get accepted or rejected, or "waitlist" to someone unfamiliar with the process.

I know for a fact there is a waitlist, I got a waitlist letter last year. And I know for a fact that there is a "highly select" list also, because I remember them saying there was at my interview. The question is, is the "competitive applicant list" the "highly select" list.

wow ok that is a surprise to me then

when did they tell you you were on the waitlist last year, like what date?

and i would guess that yeah, this is the same as "highly select", i dont think they'd break it down into highly select, competitive, and waitlist. if you were waitlisted last time, it would make sense that this time around you would get bumped up to this category, so hopefully for both of us it means our chances are good.

Did anyone come up with any answers??

Is this list better than the waitlist? Does anyone know about the admission process at georgetown who can help us out? Id really like to know what the difference is between this and the waitlist...

The competitive applicants list is the highly select list. I am sure of it.

ok
so what do you think it means for our chances thus far?
like is it better than a waitlist?
i think im going to call the office tomorrow and ask about all this

sounds like a good idea! let us know what they say!

ok
so what do you think it means for our chances thus far?
like is it better than a waitlist?
i think im going to call the office tomorrow and ask about all this

Yeah, it is better than the waitlist, I dont think Georgetown starts "waitlisting" until a little later, like after May 15th, like someone said in a previous post, it is a high priority group of people, so if you are on the competitive applicants list (highly select list as Ms. Sullivan calls it at the interview) then you are in decent shape, just right them a letter ASAP to tell them why you want to go to Gtown, etc, etc.

So St85,

when you applied last year, did you get this "competitive applicant" letter and then a waitlist, or just a waitlist and this is the first you are hearing of this category... and when did you receive the waitlist letter, like what date if you can remember.

Thanks

So St85,

when you applied last year, did you get this "competitive applicant" letter and then a waitlist, or just a waitlist and this is the first you are hearing of this category... and when did you receive the waitlist letter, like what date if you can remember.

Thanks

I received it late, like after May 15th because I interviewed pretty late too. They explained the whole thing about the highly select list at our interview, perhaps someone else can recall what they said exactly.

Jay,
Did you ever call the admissions office?

yeah they said that this list is the only alternative to being accepted or rejected right now... and what happens is they break it up into a waitlist later ("after interviews are complete"), and you can either go onto the waitlist from the "competitive" list or can get accepted.

so it means we are waitlisted or better, essentially.

but like i said, this happened to my roomate last year, and it sounded really promising when he got a similar letter (not at georgetown at RWJ of jersey). But then when it came time to go from this list to the waitlist, he got a bad spot on the waitlist and didnt get in..

Yeah, the letter says that they will review the competitive applicants list after they have finished interviews, but people still get in off the list while interviewing goes on. Does anyone know when Georgetown finishes interviewing?

I haven't heard anything, has anyone else?

This is getting depressing, everytime I see someone post that they got into Georgetown I feel a little crappier and crappier.

Hang in there! Don't give up! The waiting sucks but hang in there! Even if things don't work out, you know you gave it your all and there is no second guessing. The waiting is long, you may
not here anything till May but that's like with any school you are on the waitlist for.

Also, if any of you want some help on writing a
letter of intent to the school, feel free to pm me.

The competitive applicant pool is ranked higher than the highly select list. They are already accepting people from the competitive applicant pool. A close friend of mine got her letter saying she was in the competitive applicant pool, wrote a letter of interest ASAP, and was accepted at the end of last week. If you're in that pool, what they're looking for you to do is show strong interest by writing a letter. It seems the faster you do it, the better.

how long did it take for your friend to receive her acceptance letter?

Thanks Elizabeth, shot you one back.

hi st85... so i got the same letter you got, dated february 9, placing me in the competitive applicant pool. i then wrote the admissions office a letter expressing my interest and sent it on february 23, and then the following week they sent me an acceptance letter, dated february 27.

just like they told you at the interview, the admissions office doesn't consider _anyone_ on in the competitive applicant pool unless he/she sends an additional letter to the dean. i'm from maryland and live about 45 minutes from DC, so that's probably why i got such a quick response.

keep sending them letters periodically--it can't hurt. good luck!

Been there done that, got my letter the 19th, sent it out on the 22nd, still no word, seems like everyone who gets the letter and sends an LOI back either gets in within a week or not at all. Seems like I'm destined for the waitlist.

Did you check to see that the letter even got there?

This might sound stupid, but did you spend a lot of time on your letter?