georgetown, GW and tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me more about these schools? is there anything unique about these schools? for example, i know georgetown is very close to NIH..so the school allows students to take a year off (after 2nd year) to do research at NIH.

Members don't see this ad.

a $3000 non-refundable deposit makes GW very unique in my eyes! :rolleyes: :mad:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Maple:
•a $3000 non-refundable deposit makes GW very unique in my eyes! :rolleyes: :mad: •••••wait, isn't gWU ur first choice? doesnt that money go for the tuition? :D so why you complaining girl...it's not like its going to disappear...

now, if ur first choice was another school, and u depoisted $3000, now that is PAINFUL hehe :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Georgetown's big selling point is its holistic approach to healing. There's a strong emphasis on faith (any faith of course, but GTown is a Jesuit institution) in medicine. Also, they're one of the few schools that tell you at the interview that you can get in. Other schools tell you you'd be lucky if they deemed you worthy, but gtown says if you like us and show us that you do (by writing essays/letters) you can get in. Also, they have a special session during their interview day to discuss their new owner Medstar and the school's relationship w/this co.
I personally didn't find anything unique at GW except that it was really expensive and they don't give good aid. Depending on which schools you're applying to, this may not be unique.

[/QUOTE]if ur first choice was another school, and u depoisted $3000, now that is PAINFUL hehe :D [/QB][/QUOTE]

exactly!!! :( OUCH! :(

ps: glad to have you back..hope everything is ok with you. :)

how big is the religious influence at georgetown med school? i almost went there for undergrad, thinking the religious influence was pretty small. however, i heard from a friend who visited the med school that religion plays a big part. he said the religious atmosphere felt "oppressive" to him.

I'm not a religious person and I found the spiritual atmosphere at G'town comforting and supportive, not oppressive. Although I'm not religious in the traditional sense, I do have faith and I believe it plays a role in healing and G'town recognizes that. Many people found Mrs. Sullivan's speech on interview day disturbing, so maybe that's where your friend got his vibes from. On the other hand, many others found it intriguing. What I liked about the school was that they layed their philosophy right on the table and basically said take it or leave it.