Georgetown Physiology (SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osar92

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody is currently applying to georgetown's physiology program.
If so, are u taking the GRE or submitting MCAT scores?
What do you think is a competitive GRE score for this program?
any insights or thoughts would be wonderful. THANKS!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure that the GRE is required? Last year when I applied, the GRE was not required. If I remember correctly, you basically just turn in your AMCAS to apply for the program.

I'm applying...actually just sent in everything a few days ago. GRE scores are NOT required. ALl you do is fill out their grad school application, and submitt a copy of your AMCAS application, with your premed comittee letter or 3 LORs. Pretty darn easy. If accepted I don't know if I'll go...expensive to go, expensive to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what the deadline is?

kinda off-topic, but i did the program last year. my advice is bust your a@@ and make sure to have at least a 3.5 after physiology if u want an interview at g-town. it was a great experience, yes expensive, but you feel like a 1st year and get to see what med school is like from the inside. don't take it lightly, its a great academic opportunity and a great chance to help yourself into medschool

bellx1,
it would seem more difficult to enhance one's GPA in med school courses than continuing upper level science courses in a harvard extension school type atmosphere. I'm trying to decide between these options... please let me know your overall feelings about the program---worth the money, cut throat, etc?

bellx1,

where did u wind up going for med school? i'm in the program right now if anyone has any questions about it. i don't think it's as hard as everyone makes it seem, but i also dont have a 4.0. to get As in the med courses is really tough, but getting Bs and B+ is not that hard. The grad courses from the first semester are easy, so you can definitely get As in them.

well yes and no. lol. the difficulty in med school classes (at least 1st year @ g-town) is not challenging subject matter, but rather the volume and speed that you go through the subject matter. as an overall experience, i personally felt it was worth the money although there are those who don't feel the program helped them. yes it can be cut-throat. the gunners popup early and go strong, but at least for my class we were all very helpful, finding extra resources, studying together, etc. so it didn't feel like this giant competition.
i suppose it's more what you feel comfortable in doing. the SMP is meant to help people with average MCATs and low GPAs demonstrate that they are capable of excelling in medical school despite a low GPA, not to mention after all is said and done you get a M.S. as well as get to live in DC whereas upper level post-bacs may be able to increase your GPA, there is no way those classes can match the closeness to actually being in medschool, nor the overall experience. IMO.
in short, i loved it. and i didnt even get into medschool right out of the program last year :(
if you are really interested and have concerns/questions i would call either dr.myers or ms.cabiness because they are really helpful

The deadline to apply is sometime in June. I'm too lazy too look at the Georgetown website.