Georgetown SMP program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blade

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been through the Georgetown SMP program, or knows anything about this program. How likely it is to get into medical school after going through the program, etc. I just got accepted into the program and am trying to decide whether or not I should accept.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the program 3 years ago, did very well, and yet still didn't get accepted until this year (not at Gtown though). I would say, if your GPA is the major sticking point, the SMP is okay, but I kind of wish I went for an MPH. It's a useful degree (unlike the SMP) and if you do some clinical work with it, your app looks great. Plus, because the SMP class is VERY competitive (but luckily no backstabbing) it's tough to get a 4.0 Given that its relatively easy in most MS degree programs to get high grades, anything less than a 3.8 in the SMP actually looks bad on your med school app! All in all, its an extremely stressful and aggravating experience. You should definitely talk to your pre-med advisor first, and if you hope to get into Gtown via the SMP, understand that class politics (ie, connections) are worth almost as much as grades. Having said all that, the experience taught me a lot about myself, and even though it took forever, I wouldn't have gotten into med school without the SMP.

I went through this program one year ago and just got into UC Davis here in California. Statistics-wise this program is pretty good. I think something like 80% of the people eventually get in. ~50% right after that year. The quality of education is really good, you'll be in the same classes with Georgetown medical students. Do expect the program to be very competitive and sometimes cut-throat. Also, they could do better in terms of academic counseling. But all in all I would recommend it, it's been a fun year. I'm happy though that its over.