Georgetown SMP vs UPenn PHPB - thoughts please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainexplorer82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hola

I recently got accepted into GU's SMP program, and today received an invitation to interview at UPenn for the PreHealth Special Sciences PostBacc Program. My check to GU to guarantee my spot is required by June 6, and if I interview at UPenn, I wouldn't hear back from them until much later. I was hoping to hear back from people who have either experienced either of the two mentioned programs or know a lot about them about their recommendations. Which program is better for someone looking to boost their GPA and show medical schools that he/she is worthy of their attention. Please mention any and all factors that come to mind. Accordingly, I will decide whether to send my $500 check and interview with UPenn nonetheless, or to thank UPenn for their time but say no, thank you.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you want. One is an SMP, the other is undergrad. If you think you can improve your GPA in one year enough to not need an SMP, then go for UPENN. If, on the other hand, your stats are low enough that you are likely going to need an SMP anyway - then no point in wasting a year, and you should go with Georgetown.

Remember that SMP's are last ditch efforts - fail there and its over.