Georgetown Students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tontondavid

UC Davis Class of 2008
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As some of you may know, I have posted a request to help me choose between GU and UC Davis on the pre-med board and got a lot of help.

However, I didn't get much replies on GU. So I would like to know if any of you are at GU right now can please give me a list of pros and cons of the school.

It would be really really helpful!!!

Thanks guys.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Come on gys. 62 views and no response??

Please, anyone from GU can tell me at least if the school is good or not?

Thanks...

Go to UC Davis, especially if you are a state ressident. GT is going through some changes and is still having financial difficulty. It's rep has been hurt nationally with some of the changes that medstar has been making at it's main hospital too. It used to be a strong school (10-20 yrs ago), and it may eventually recover, but probably not by the time that you graduate and need their rep on the interview trail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Kalel for you reply. Are you a student there?

I can't believe that GU's own students don't want to promote their school....

:confused:

Not a student there, but I interviewed there for IM and have heard a lot about it from faculty and on the interview trail. Their cardiology department is particularly hurting with a massive migration of faculty from their hospital over to GW with the loss of interventional cath and CT surgery at their main hospital. It's really embarassing to be at an academic medical center and have to transfer a patient who rules in for an MI (heart attack) because your hospital isn't equipped to handle those patients.

i'm not going to post a list of "pros and cons" because what i like or dislike about georgetown might be completely different from what you would like or dislike about it. also, i believe they're in the middle of doing some major curriculum revisions, so what i say might not necessarily hold true for you guys. nonetheless, i'll go ahead and list some characteristics about the school and you can decide for yourself how you feel about them...

1 - we have a traditional curriculum 1st year. anatomy is separate from physiology which is separate from biochem, etc. there is little to no integration of material, little to no PBL. it's pretty much all lecture all the time.

2 - speaking of lecture, we spend A LOT of time in class. of course, you don't have to attend all these classes (and some people don't), but if you are a class person, you will be there a lot.

3 - we are not on a block schedule 1st year. i.e., we currently have a test every monday from now until we finish in june. (which might also be why no one else is posting replies. the rest of my class is probably studying while i'm on sdn... hmmm...)

4 - we are on an H/HP/P/(LP)/F system. no pass/fail for us!

5 - we take some 1st year classes with the master's program people, so at times there will be like 300 people in the lecture hall. (i include this because apparently some people in my class are really annoyed at having to take classes with the masters people...)

6 - apparently, we have a reputation for being a school full of gunners. no comment, but take that how you will...

7 - cura personalis. :p

well, i need to study for my endocrinolgy final. good luck with your decision! just think about your own learning style and pick a place you will learn best and be happy.

Thanks a lot SilverAngel!!!

This is good info! It will definitely help me in making up my mind.

Good luck on your final!!