Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittenKiller

chop suey
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone know anything about UGA that you care to share? I applied there because Athens is really nice and I prefer warmer-than-New-England weather but I don't know much about the school other than what I picked up from their web site.

I also noticed that only one out-of-stater went last year and they have a long tradition of having only 0,1, or 2 "at large" applicants not from Georgia or states they contract with. Whats the deal with that? Should this be a big red flag?

Also, if anyone else applied and is curious, I called the admissions office last week and they said decisions should be mailed out the week of March 19th.

Jessica

Members don't see this ad.

That's about what I heard to, probably nothing till the third week of March (boo!). Luckily my school has a contract with Georgia so I think they take up to 6 of us. It's almost better being a contract school in a state with no vet school because we have three states that treat us as in state students as far as admissions. Plus WV doesn't have many that apply. It's a shame that your state of residence has so much weight with vet school.

I was rejected last year and I didn't get my letter til the first week in April. From the group of people i know who have gotten into UGA CVM, and my advisor most people get their acceptances on April 1st or thereabouts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved the fact the UGA took the Bio GRE test, which benefits me greatly, but saw they only took 1 non-resident last year, so I didn't apply. Good luck to you though!

Haha I just noticed the screenname KittenKiller. Hilarious.

Got my acceptance letter today yay! Crossing my fingers for the rest of you!

where u from hopeful??? I assume georgia residents would get theirs first b/c of the proximity

I am a GA resident and I only live about an hour or two (depends on traffic in athens) from the school. I got my letter on 3/21 and it was dated 3/19 so I got it very fast! I am very surprised I got it so soon! I wasn't expecting anything til next week.

I am a resident of Delaware, who has a contract with Georgia. I got my letter today(3/23/07) to inform me I am on the alternate list for Delaware residents! :)

also a contract alternate from wv...do you think they accept alternates as those accepted decline?? I don't want to have to wait until after may and have them see my sub par second semester grades. I know of 4 people that are going to decline georgia from wv so i'm optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well Max Power, I was placed on the alternate list at both Georgia and Oklahoma. In Oklahoma's letter they stated that they would not be informing any alternates of their status until at least after April 16th. That being the day that everyone has to reply by. My assumption would be that it is a similar situation at all places. I assume they will wait to hear from everyone, including alternates, on their intentions for that particular school. I would imagine that shortly after April 16th, alternates remaining on the list will then be contacted.

I am certainly hoping to get contacted by either school I am on the alternate list. Whichever school contacts me first gets me! Haha :)

Rejected! Almost relieved, now I dont have to make a decision - Im going to Penn!

I was wondering if anyone has still not heard from UGA yet? I am in Houston with Teach for America, but I am a Georgia resident and I haven't received a letter yet. Should I call on Monday morning? I am in panic mode, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Where is the letter supposed to be sent to you? Depends on the address you put on the application. If you sent it to an address in TX, then perhaps wait until Monday afternoon before panicking and calling. It is common to get lost in the mail. They may not be able to tell you over the phone of your status and have to resend your letter.

I have received all of my admissions correspondence here in Houston. I have also had my mom on the look out in Georgia- nothing. Does anyone know if everything was sent last Monday? I guess I will call tomorrow if the letter doesn't turn up.

My letter was dated 19th and postmarked 20th. I'd definitely call my tomorrow after you get your mail delivered for the day and get that letter re-sent!

Still nothing. I called and the admissions counselor was really nice, but said that she couldn't send another letter until Wednesday. So I guess I will be waiting until Friday or Saturday to hear whether it will be Athens or Columbus. I hate this game.......

Thank you Hopeful, and right back at ya. Are you going to the Open House next Friday (6 April)?

Hang on if you're still waiting to hear - hoping the best for you!

IN! I am in! I still haven't gotten the letter but since the class has already been posted, Teresa was able to give me the news over the phone. I guess I will be seeing some of you at the open house on the 6th! How bout them dawgs?

Congrats Tybee!! That is so awesome!

I wasn't going to go to the Open House, I had heard from several people that it is more for kids (they get to operate on stuffed animals, etc.), not really a whole lot of new students go... I may call my friend who is a 1st year this year and see if she went. It would be kind of nice to meet up with co '11!

The only reason I am going, is that sadly, having been born and raised in the peach state, I have never been to Athens or UGA. I was also accepted at Ohio State (went to undergrad in Ohio) and so I want to make sure that Georgia is the best fit. Also, it falls on Good Friday, which as a teacher, I have off. And lastly it is G-day on Saturday, which is exciting for a football junky like me. Hope to see ya'll there!

Well thats a great reason to go. I think you will really like Athens, it is a neat town. I am actually headed there today (dr's appt and I have to drop some samples off at the diagnostic lab at the vet school).

I worked at the vet school too in a research lab for 2 summers and the atmosphere is really laid back. I met a lot of 4th years both summers and had some other classes working as students in the lab between semesters and everyone was pretty cool. You will still get to meet current students as I believe that all classes have to work the open house!

The town itself can be a little confusing to get around at first (especially the whole loop thing! be careful b/c the directionals are all messed up, you can be getting on the N loop and be going S etc... I avoid the loop at all costs!)

Have a great time! And I hope you choose Georgia :) I might have gone anyway but I have had to take a lot of time off work due to some personal stuff so I don't think its fair for me to take off... again!

Does anyone of any good housing options in Athens? I am looking at apartments, but would like to buy a house or condo. What are the good neighborhoods in Athens? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I've gone to the Open House back when *I* was little - it was catered to the kiddies, but still think I'm going to check it out. ;-) good Friday = no classes so YAY!

You'll fall in love with Athens, Tybee. Also curious as to replies to your last question...

If you go under student life there is a housing page... heres a link to the page that has the link to the file (if that made sense!)

http://www.vet.uga.edu/academic/life/housing.php

I'd go there bc its mostly vet or professional students posting for roomates and there are some homes for sale too. I have also gone to a real estate agent since we are looking to buy instead of rent.

do you think they'll start notifying the waitlisters as the declines come in? Or are they going to wait till after the 16th and tell people at once??

As far as waitlisters (and I swear I am not trying to be a know it all! I just talk to a lot of people and ask lots of questions!) my current boss had a classmate who found out about a week or two before classes started, but I have no idea if they will start right at April 16th or what. But I do know that they notify pretty late in the summer as well.

If you go under student life there is a housing page... heres a link to the page that has the link to the file (if that made sense!)

http://www.vet.uga.edu/academic/life/housing.php

I'd go there bc its mostly vet or professional students posting for roomates and there are some homes for sale too. I have also gone to a real estate agent since we are looking to buy instead of rent.

Thanks Hopeful...I actually stumbled across that link yesterday. So much to plan for...:scared: Eish!

Change of plans guys! I was able to get off work for the afternoon so I will be going to open house tomorrow. I talked to someone I know who is a 1st year and he talked me into it. I believe there will be some kind of cookout with the 2 fraternities for the incoming freshman sometime in the afternoon. I do have to be back to feed horses but I am going to try and go to that. Maybe see you guys tomorrow!

Hey if any of you are interested, I am planning on buying a house in Athens and will be looking for a roommate. Just let me know if you're remotely interested. I'm looking at 3/2's with fenced in yards. Its up in the air whether I want 1 roommate and have a shared study/office area or 2 roomies. I will update anyone who's interested (we are actively looking for houses now).

And I joined the facebook group. I'm the dork holding the goat.

anyone here anything from the waitlist??

My friend was wait-listed from Georgia (in state) and was accepted on Thursday. As of that date, they had already called the first 4 on the wait-list from the state of Georgia.

that's cool...i'm on the waitlist for WV students...who knows! I'm really liking SGU though!

My friend was wait-listed from Georgia (in state) and was accepted on Thursday. As of that date, they had already called the first 4 on the wait-list from the state of Georgia.

so it was a phone call then?? do you think that means once they do all that and they fill their class/contracts they should be able to tell you you're rejected off the waitlist??

The admissions department had told my friend to call on April 17th to find out her number on the wait-list. She called, they told her her number, and then said more than likely they would be calling her before the end of the week. Apparently if you are in the top 5 on the wait-list you have a pretty good chance of getting in. They did tell her, too, that the last person called last year was called on the second day of classes. Where else did you apply?

i also applied to tuskegee and am sending my stuff to st. george tommarow...i tried to call uga fri but it was busy all day..i wanted to find out my number.

I keep hearing about people finding out the week before/of classes...If they're calling people one by one off the waitlist how long can that take?? If they got thru 5 in a few days this doesn't make sense to me. Also, once they fill the spots, can't they call you and tell you they're filled? I don't see why this should take very long

Did you get into Tuskegee? I know a few vets who graduated from there and they are fantastic. I was thinking of applying there this fall. I am from Georgia, so I don't know how that works in terms of how I would be considered (in-state or out of state or it doesn't matter) because I know they are a private school and I heard that's a little different in terms of the whole in-state thing. I have another friend who went to St. George and she loved it. She's doing her last year at TN and will graduate next month.

All I know to tell you is that I know two students who got into UGA this year and both are from Georgia. One was accepted right a way (he's a guy) and the girl was wait-listed and they just told her to call the school last Tuesday. I don't know if there are different protocols for out of state students. The girl had a ton of experience, but not a very high GPA or GRE score, so it looks like they banked a lot on experience, which is nice. Some of the best vets I know said they didn't have the best grades.

tuskegee still hasn't got anything out to contract students....it's a nice school...but i don't know how the whole private school in state out of state thing works.

i just found out i'm next on the waitlist to be accepted....but the alternates above me gave a verbal commitment....let's hope someone has a change of heart!