Geriatrics and Palliative for Hem/ Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hitbykamikaze

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an IMG on a J1 Visa; Average of 238 Step 1 and 2.. I am in PGY-4 of Med/Peds residency in a mid tier university program. No in house fellowships here.I have discovered that I really want to do Adult Hem/Onc which I had discovered in my third year. It was a bit late, I would guess. I have 3-4 local posters and a publications(pediatrics). I have applied for match, lets see how that goes.But, I was planning on having a backup.

Was wondering how good would it be if I had a geriatrics and a palliative fellowship from big places like MDACC,MSKCC. Would that make my application more favourable when I apply next time?I have seen it happen that there are a few onc fellows who have completed palliative fellowship.I also believe possessing palliative knowledge would be important for an oncologist.

I have my heart set on Oncology. I want to practice it later. But, if there is no advantage in doing it, then I will have to reconsider this decision. I dont mind spending a extra year or two in training if it can help me.

The other option would be to do a pediatric hem/onc and then do adult later. It is a lot more training which I am not really inclined to do. Dont know if that's helpful by any means in clinching Adult Hem.Onc. What do you guys think?

I would love to see what @gutonc would think about this.
 
Last edited: