Geriatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RainLove78

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm interested in doing a geriatric fellowship. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should strengthen my application?😕
 
The fellowship application process is much less structured than the residency Match. I honestly couldn't imagine what you could do other than demonstrate an aptitude for the care of the elderly. You could do some geriatric electives during third year, etc. You'll need a good letter of recommendation from your PD, and it'll help if the people who run the fellowship know you already. Other than that, I don't really know.
 
We have a one month geriatric rotation in our second yr where all 2nd yr residents would go through. And after that, you're given 2 geriatric patients at a nursing home where you will follow monthly until you finish.

This really helps when you try to get into a geriatric fellowship.

I guess you can use your elective month and rotate through an outside program that has a geriatric fellowship program. It will help too.