Geriatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainLove78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in doing a geriatric fellowship. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should strengthen my application?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The fellowship application process is much less structured than the residency Match. I honestly couldn't imagine what you could do other than demonstrate an aptitude for the care of the elderly. You could do some geriatric electives during third year, etc. You'll need a good letter of recommendation from your PD, and it'll help if the people who run the fellowship know you already. Other than that, I don't really know.

Thanks, I just need a little direction.

We have a one month geriatric rotation in our second yr where all 2nd yr residents would go through. And after that, you're given 2 geriatric patients at a nursing home where you will follow monthly until you finish.

This really helps when you try to get into a geriatric fellowship.

I guess you can use your elective month and rotate through an outside program that has a geriatric fellowship program. It will help too.