German Medical School /PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Platypus7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a few questions about attending medical school in Germany.

I haven't been able to find much regarding if there are MD/PHD programs in Germany, even though I am aware that you can do clinical research during the last semesters of the 6 years. If these programs do exist, are they open to international applicants?

Also,
I am currently in the process of applying for dual citizenship in Germany (primary being in US), and I am almost completely set on moving to Europe after I finish my undergraduate here in the states.
If I am not able to get the dual citizenship (even though I should be able to), how difficult would it be to obtain permanent EU residency/citizenship?

I've read that some specializations are more difficult to get into as a non-EU, and I haven't been able to find too much regarding the competition for neurology/neurosurgery. Any information?

Lastly, how early can one start applying to medical schools? I am graduating in 2014 and since there is no MCAT requirement, I was wondering as to when I can begin applying, as earlier would be better (even if I just aim for acceptance conditional on my passing the language exam, as I have read on here that this is possible). I am already a junior at an ivy league school, with research experience, so I feel as though my credentials are somewhat ready for admission judgment.

If there are any German medical students/graduates that either came from America or just have more information about the process, I would really appreciate to speak with you more!

Thanks for any advice/information

Members don't see this ad.