Geropsych! Is it really worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richfen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of really thinking whether doing a fellowship in Geriatric Psychiatry is worth it. I know there is great big demand which is going to continue to grow, but I hear that you do not get paid because of the Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement (excluding nursing homes). Can anyone post what the average GeriPsych earns doing regular inpatient/outpatient work and what the pros and cons of going into this field.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that, depending on the location, you can start at 10K higher with a gero-psych fellowship under your belt then without. I've also been told of some in priviate practice doing pretty well and making far above the average for a psychiatrist. I'm still an intern and got this info from some of the gero psychiatrist at my program. N=2. so take it for what it's worth...

The $ in geropsych is in inpatient work and nursing homes. The key is getting a large medical director stipend from the hospitals and nursing homes, and getting it from several institutions (ie, be medical director of geropsych units at several different hospitals).