Gestalt therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychtrainee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my program I have received very little training for Gestalt therapy. For those of you who practice it, what books/articles would you recommend, aside from "Gestalt Therapy: Excitement and Growth in the Human Personality." I am interested in theoretical underpinnings but also practical books with case studies and examples on how to conduct therapy.

Members don't see this ad.

Gestalt Therapy: 100 Key Points and Techniques
Gestalt therapy now: theory, techniques, applications.
The Gestalt therapy book; a holistic guide to the theory, principles, and techniques of Gestalt therapy developed by Frederick S. Perls and others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at DVDs from American Psychological Association of Les Greenberg. He calls his work EFT (Emotion Focused Therapy) but his background is gestalt -- he trained at the Gestalt Institute of Toronto, and if you watch his tapes, he's basically doing Gestalt work. Also read John Callahan's Gestalt Awareness Practice book, which is available on Lulu. It is practical and excellent. Most important, however, is to find people who do the work. Gestalt is not something you can really learn from a book. It must be experienced to be known.

If you have an analytic institute near wherever you're training, they would be a good resource for local people doing gestalt in the community, and they would also have a kick-ass library of the original sources. If you're in the SW, PM me and I can point you at some practitioners who do it.

If you have an analytic institute near wherever you're training, they would be a good resource for local people doing gestalt in the community, and they would also have a kick-ass library of the original sources. If you're in the SW, PM me and I can point you at some practitioners who do it.

Mmm, disagree. You may find resources via an analytic institute, but not all institutes recognize Gestalt as an iteration of analytic principles, and thus may or may not be connected to Gestalt practitioners. It is probably different outside of the US, of course. Many analysts know only that -- analysis. I write that as an analyst in training.