Not open for further replies.

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I decided to part ways with my doctoral program with a terminal masters. I am wondering I can acquire a license to practice therapy in California this degree.
The only way to know for certain is to review CA's masters-level licensing requirements and probably contact the board directly. A lot will depend on what your degree is in and what type of supervised practice (if any) and coursework you've completed. Although if the masters was earned while working toward a doctorate, it's not really a terminal masters. That doesn't absolutely mean it's not license-eligible, but masters degrees earned as a part of a doctoral program typically aren't structured to meet any licensing requirements, so it may require additional work on your end.

If your degree was in psychology, my guess is that your best bet may be trying to get licensed as a professional clinical counselor; those requirements can be found here: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor - Board of Behavioral Sciences or CALPCC - Licensure Requirements

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.