Getting a good deal for rural

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Internal medicine resident but thought this might be a better place to ask this question)

I am a PGY-2 currently looking for a post-residency job. I was told to look early especially if I want to practice rural (outpatient and inpatient preferably in the west/mountain states e.g. Idaho, WY, Montana, Utah) so I could get a stipend while I am a resident and a good signing bonus. I have been using websites like practicelink and careerMD but I'm not sure these are the best?

- What is the best way to find a job, particularly in rural areas?
- What is the best way to get a good signing bonus? Are places like these typically open to negotiating?
- I've seen for example 9-5pm outpatient M-F in northern wyoming town of like 10k for 200k/year, which seems low. Do places typically low-ball and are open to negotiating?
- What are good selling points that might earn you a larger contract? (e.g. procedure-wise, willing to do critical care, etc. - for example, I have an interest in addiction and have a buprenorphine waiver w/ experience in addiction clinics during residency, do places want people with such credentials?)

Members don't see this ad.

Pick a few areas you are interested, call that hospital/practice and talk to their internal hr/physcian recruiter.

A headhunter takes a cut of the money that could otherwise go to you

Reactions: 1 users