Getting a good deal for rural

Started by cbrons
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cbrons

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(Internal medicine resident but thought this might be a better place to ask this question)

I am a PGY-2 currently looking for a post-residency job. I was told to look early especially if I want to practice rural (outpatient and inpatient preferably in the west/mountain states e.g. Idaho, WY, Montana, Utah) so I could get a stipend while I am a resident and a good signing bonus. I have been using websites like practicelink and careerMD but I'm not sure these are the best?

- What is the best way to find a job, particularly in rural areas?
- What is the best way to get a good signing bonus? Are places like these typically open to negotiating?
- I've seen for example 9-5pm outpatient M-F in northern wyoming town of like 10k for 200k/year, which seems low. Do places typically low-ball and are open to negotiating?
- What are good selling points that might earn you a larger contract? (e.g. procedure-wise, willing to do critical care, etc. - for example, I have an interest in addiction and have a buprenorphine waiver w/ experience in addiction clinics during residency, do places want people with such credentials?)
 
Pick a few areas you are interested, call that hospital/practice and talk to their internal hr/physcian recruiter.

A headhunter takes a cut of the money that could otherwise go to you