Getting a headstart before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDrugMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the Pre-med forum but I figured it would be better to ask students.

Are their books/materials I can study read before I start medical school that will help ease the workload of years M1 and M2. For example like studying Biochemistry, or Anatomy books. After reading the "Do you regret going to medical school" thread it looks as if the workload has created hell for some people.

I have nothing but time on my hands now :)

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but this topic has been covered on SDN more often than any other topic out there. Do a search to have a wealth of advice at your hands instantaneously.

If you can't handle the workload during the regular year, don't go to medical school.

There is no way you can teach yourself anatomy before school starts. If your school has a pre-matriculation program (like mine does), do that to get a feeling of what school will be like. Otherwise, enjoy your summer. This is the same advice that is given over and over again, and will undoubtedly be repeated here. You're going to hate yourself soon enough. Why start the process early?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but this topic has been covered on SDN more often than any other topic out there. Do a search to have a wealth of advice at your hands instantaneously.

I figured that but I didn't know what to search specifically. I will try. Thank U

If you can't handle the workload during the regular year, don't go to medical school.

There is no way you can teach yourself anatomy before school starts. If your school has a pre-matriculation program (like mine does), do that to get a feeling of what school will be like. Otherwise, enjoy your summer. This is the same advice that is given over and over again, and will undoubtedly be repeated here. You're going to hate yourself soon enough. Why start the process early?

Thanks for the advice but my situation is a little different. I have a couple years before I complete my undergrad. I find my current workload to be pretty easy and was just wondering if I can do something with the extra time since I am such a loser :)

Thanks for the advice but my situation is a little different. I have a couple years before I complete my undergrad. I find my current workload to be pretty easy and was just wondering if I can do something with the extra time since I am such a loser :)

my god...how horrifying

Well, if you have years of school before medical school, and you really want to put the time in, you could see if your school offers a gross anatomy course for undergrads (I took this course just this last spring with 2 human cadavers), Biochemistry I & II, and other upper-level courses that are clinically related if offered at your school like Neuroanatomy, Endocrinology, Embryology, Histology, etc.

Well, if you have years of school before medical school, you could see if your school offers a gross anatomy course for undergrads (I took this course just this last spring), Biochemistry I & II, and other upper-level courses that are clinically related if offered at your school like Neuroanatomy, Endocrinology, Embryology, Histology, etc.

I agree. You're not likely to get far with independent study. But taking courses in biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, etc. will make life a little easier for you in med school. Of course, it's a trade-off; coursework consumes time that you could spend pursuing other interests. It's your call.

Did you take your MCATs yet? If you haven't, and are really that eager, go get yourself a review book and start reading that. :thumbup:

Well, if you have years of school before medical school, and you really want to put the time in, you could see if your school offers a gross anatomy course for undergrads (I took this course just this last spring with 2 human cadavers), Biochemistry I & II, and other upper-level courses that are clinically related if offered at your school like Neuroanatomy, Endocrinology, Embryology, Histology, etc.

Even if you don't have human anatomy like mine didn't, check to see if the bio department offers a comparative vertebrate anatomy course or something similar. Though, obviously, that isn't the same as a human, you learn a lot of study strategies for rote memorization of the location of particular organs/vessels as well as basic ways that they are described or named based on their location (anterior vs. posterior, medial vs. lateral, etc.).

I guess this is why alot of pre-meds major in Biochem and Biology. It prepares you pretty well. I'm kind of heading toward an undergrad in Finance. I figured money management would be good to know before I head into health care. I enjoy science alot as well, but from what I read here you will get plenty in Med School.

I think I will take the one posters advice and focus more of my independent study time on the MCAT. I have finished all of my general CHEM and BIO classes so I will go ahead and get some of the MCAT study guides.

I guess this is why alot of pre-meds major in Biochem and Biology. It prepares you pretty well. I'm kind of heading toward an undergrad in Finance. I figured money management would be good to know before I head into health care. I enjoy science alot as well, but from what I read here you will get plenty in Med School.

I think I will take the one posters advice and focus more of my independent study time on the MCAT. I have finished all of my general CHEM and BIO classes so I will go ahead and get some of the MCAT study guides.

The prereqs are all you need for med school. Premeds major in bio and biochem because that was historically required but there will be many many people from both those majors in the same (sinking? j/k) boat as you once med school starts. Spend your extra time studying for the MCAT and building up your ECs. No point studying for med school until the night before your first class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are their books/materials I can study read before I start medical school that will help ease the workload of years M1 and M2. For example like studying Biochemistry, or Anatomy books. After reading the "Do you regret going to medical school" thread it looks as if the workload has created hell for some people.

To use a metaphor: medical school is a marathon, not a 5k. Even if you're an above average runner, with a "head start" you still won't finish in the top 10 because those guys are so much faster. Work on learning and pushing your limits, set a pace you can handle to finish, and enjoy it.

Agreed, it's much more important to study and do well on the MCAT so you can get into medical school. Then once you are in, relax and mentally prepare for the onslaught.

I took a human anatomy course from the graduate school that was great and I think gave me a good idea of what the first few weeks of med school will be like. Work on your ECs. Then party and hang out with friends.

Agreed, it's much more important to study and do well on the MCAT so you can get into medical school. Then once you are in, relax and mentally prepare for the onslaught.

Yes study for the mcat in get into med school first. Once in then you can talk about getting a head start.

I'm starting M1 this fall, and will leisurely look at Netter's Anatomy and some biochemistry stuff, just so it will look familiar. Seeing as this is one of the last summers I can enjoy completely, I figured no reason to kill myself now.

I was going to post this in the Pre-med forum but I figured it would be better to ask students.

I have nothing but time on my hands now :)

There are more productive things to do than pre-study for med school. As others have said, study for the MCAT if you haven't yet taken it. Or do some research. Or work and make some money. Or do some community service in an area you feel passionate about.

Let med school be your focus when you get here - otherwise you run the risk of burnout. You'll get far far far far far more out of 3 months of hardcore MCAT studying (and a good score) then 1-2 years of casual reading of netter.

dude dont worry about studying for med school until you take the mcats. for now study for the mcats. if you dont master that crap there wont be a med school.. and SOME of it may actually be slightly relevant

Why would you spend your undergrad years- really the last opportunity you have to take a variety of interesting, non-science courses- taking a watered down version of double shot of whisky that is med school. Why would you do that during the summer before med school. A disproportionate amount of graduating medical students will tell you that this is less than futile.

Incidentally, if I was on an ADCOM, nothing would be more yawn generating material- other than the PS- than seeing a resume full of pre med courses. If not for the sake of your own intellectual curiosity, at least spice up your resume.