Getting a hospital tech job as a pharmacist for the experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GravityBeetle

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been a retail pharmacist for a couple years now and to be honest I don't mind it, but I feel like my career growth is stagnant and I yearn to do something different. My clinical knowledge is still pretty fresh in my head, but I would hate to see it slip away.

However, hospital positions seem goddamn impossible to land, even part-time/per diem, especially since I have no hospital experience outside of P4 rotations. I know a lot of people suggest finding a position in a rural area and moving there and I am looking into that, but even that is difficult as it would have to be full time or I would have to find another part time job to support myself while paying off my loans. So I was thinking would getting a part time tech at a local hospital be a good idea to get experience and become a more desirable candidate? Has anyone done this? Would the hospital even consider you for that position?

Other than that I don't know what to do at this point and kind of getting depressed about it... I regret not doing residency and would definitely be open to doing one in the future if that is at all possible, but I decided early on in pharmacy school to go the retail path due to financial reasons.
 
Yeah, don't apply as a technician. Bad idea.

At this point, the way I see it, your options are fairly straightforward:
1. Do a residency. Still not a guarantee of getting a hospital job in an urban area. This option obviously involves taking a serious pay cut.
2. Take a pharmacist job in a hospital in a rural area. Get years of experience and MAYBE get a job in an urban area later.

I know people who did both options
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, don't apply as a technician. Bad idea.

At this point, the way I see it, your options are fairly straightforward:
1. Do a residency. Still not a guarantee of getting a hospital job in an urban area. This option obviously involves taking a serious pay cut.
2. Take a pharmacist job in a hospital in a rural area. Get years of experience and MAYBE get a job in an urban area later.

I know people who did both options

Yeah I thought it was a bad idea too but I'm at wit's end about what to do. I feel stuck

I would love to so residency, especially now that my debt is more manageable. However I lack recent hospital experience and extracurriculars and leadership activities during pharmacy school. I guess I could throw a hail Mary this time around and see what happens. Any tips that would help me match would be much appreciated.

I'm still scoping for rural positions too. Again those are still difficult to get. I'm already licensed in 3 states and hopefully soon 4. Any tips about how to build myself as a better candidate would be greatly appreciated.
 
You can't even legally work as a tech with a pharmacist license in my state. What area of the US are you located in/what states are you looking in for work?
 
The easiest way in is to get a job at the outpatient pharmacy of a large hospital system. They generally like to "cross train" the outpatient pharmacists if they are willing. When something opens up, you're already trained and likely to get the job.
 
I am not sure how much success you'll have doing this, but is there any way you could get involved with a nearby pharmacy school, especially if it is part of a university medical center? Maybe developing relationships with the school by doing guest lectures, serving on committees, etc. could lead to new job opportunities (or other opportunities that will make you a more competitive residency applicant). Just a thought/not something i have personal experience with.
 
The easiest way in is to get a job at the outpatient pharmacy of a large hospital system. They generally like to "cross train" the outpatient pharmacists if they are willing. When something opens up, you're already trained and likely to get the job.
Interesting. I'll look into that

I am not sure how much success you'll have doing this, but is there any way you could get involved with a nearby pharmacy school, especially if it is part of a university medical center? Maybe developing relationships with the school by doing guest lectures, serving on committees, etc. could lead to new job opportunities (or other opportunities that will make you a more competitive residency applicant). Just a thought/not something i have personal experience with.

Not even sure where to start with those? Like who would I approach? There is a school near here but not the school I graduated from. Most opportunities are for students. There is nothing for working pharmacists. I do occasionally volunteer for a local clinic but that's about it
 
The kinetics professor at my school started out by doing a few guest lectures for the previous kinetics professor as a personal favor. When it was time to look for a new professor a couple years later, they knew he could do the job.
 
The kinetics professor at my school started out by doing a few guest lectures for the previous kinetics professor as a personal favor. When it was time to look for a new professor a couple years later, they knew he could do the job.
Very cool but sounds like he already had connections and knew the previous professor. I don't have any experience teaching however, nor do I have interest in becoming a professor. Besides every single one of my lecturers were either PharmDs with residency, current residents, or PhDs.