Getting a job without a local connection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScubaV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if any of the helpful souls here have any advice for getting a job in an area where you don't have an established connection. I'm about to finish residency in a low-mid tier program without much name recognition and I'll be doing a surg-path fellowship at a place with a good name, but I don't think the faculty can/will help much with finding a job (I asked about this during the interview) besides serving as references.

I figure I'll start looking for a private practice job maybe around October or so. Personally, I'm pretty flexible in terms of location, but my significant other would like to live closer to her family and we've identified the Pacific Northwest as a good spot. We've both visited the area and I was born there, but didn't grow up there. Otherwise, there's not much on my CV or anything else that would demonstrate a local connection.

I feel like I would do well in an interview, I just need to avoid being passed over because I'm not from the area.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago myself, so I can relate somewhat, although I wasn't geographically restricted which makes my circumstances different. To address your specific question, it will be challenging (but not impossible) to get into a desired geographic area without connections and particularly without experience. I think it's never too early to start looking for jobs especially in pathology. While October isn't late, I'd begin immediately. This isn't a field like derm or ENT where we can call up a place at the end of June and say, "I'm coming to Seattle, I'll see you next Tuesday."

Without faculty help or local ties yourself, you're on your own and have to take extra initiative than if you were looking for any job, anywhere. You should try to play the angle that your s.o. has family nearby which is why you're looking for jobs in that area. Some practices are wary of someone applying to an area they have no ties to. And, those practices are concerned the potential hire is more apt to pack their bags and leave vs someone who is tied down to that area. As you probably already know from reading these forums, word of mouth is the best way to land a position. Advertised positions in your desired location where your qualifications meet those of the prospective employer and stand out from the 50-100 applicants is like playing the lotto.

So, you just have to strap up and cold call/e-mail local practices. Be prepared for a lot to reject or ignore you, but there may be some who are looking for the right candidate due to expansion, impending retirement, etc, and that person could be you. You'll never know if you don't try, so don't sell yourself short. Also, try and attend regional meetings in the area. This can be a great way to network with local pathologists. If they're not hiring, they may know someone who is.

Finally, I'm not an advocate of perpetual training, but with surg path only I think you're marketability can be somewhat limited. Everybody expects you to be competent in signing out gallbladders and hernias; therefore, many places want potential hires to bring something additional to the table. Again, not a total dealbreaker, but I think it would increase your odds. Of course, if you're already considering looking for jobs, it sounds like you're not entertaining the idea of another year. Can't say I blame ya though...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was in a similar situation a few years ago myself, so I can relate somewhat, although I wasn't geographically restricted which makes my circumstances different. To address your specific question, it will be challenging (but not impossible) to get into a desired geographic area without connections and particularly without experience. I think it's never too early to start looking for jobs especially in pathology. While October isn't late, I'd begin immediately. This isn't a field like derm or ENT where we can call up a place at the end of June and say, "I'm coming to Seattle, I'll see you next Tuesday."

Without faculty help or local ties yourself, you're on your own and have to take extra initiative than if you were looking for any job, anywhere. You should try to play the angle that your s.o. has family nearby which is why you're looking for jobs in that area. Some practices are wary of someone applying to an area they have no ties to. And, those practices are concerned the potential hire is more apt to pack their bags and leave vs someone who is tied down to that area. As you probably already know from reading these forums, word of mouth is the best way to land a position. Advertised positions in your desired location where your qualifications meet those of the prospective employer and stand out from the 50-100 applicants is like playing the lotto.

So, you just have to strap up and cold call/e-mail local practices. Be prepared for a lot to reject or ignore you, but there may be some who are looking for the right candidate due to expansion, impending retirement, etc, and that person could be you. You'll never know if you don't try, so don't sell yourself short. Also, try and attend regional meetings in the area. This can be a great way to network with local pathologists. If they're not hiring, they may know someone who is.

Finally, I'm not an advocate of perpetual training, but with surg path only I think you're marketability can be somewhat limited. Everybody expects you to be competent in signing out gallbladders and hernias; therefore, many places want potential hires to bring something additional to the table. Again, not a total dealbreaker, but I think it would increase your odds. Of course, if you're already considering looking for jobs, it sounds like you're not entertaining the idea of another year. Can't say I blame ya though...

This is good advice, thank you. I think I will end up having to largely do the cold approach method, unless I can squeeze in a trip to a regional meeting as you suggest. Looking back, I may have done the fellowship stuff differently, but I still think it was the best decision at the time given how I felt and the information I had. It's absolutely ridiculous that people are supposed to apply for fellowships two years in advance, but that's a separate issue. If disaster strikes and I can't get a job anywhere I'll just jump into an unexpected opening somewhere that always pops up.