Getting a LoR from a science prof

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metallicsponge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I go to a very large state school (UC Berkeley) and I am an EECS major. The only problem is that I don't know who to ask for recs! My classes have been huge, and the very few science classes that are not huge, I get a good grade, but I don't feel ive distinguished myself.

I have 2 good LoR from 2 PIs, 1 good LoR from a volunteering organization i work for, 1 from a physician I shadowed, and possibly one from a volunteer teaching job I did in underpriviledged Oakland communities.

I still have 2 semesters to go, and so if a science rec from someone who teaches you (not your PIs) is absolutely required then how should I go about getting these recs?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it. You have plenty of recs, I think.

So for the MD portion, you do not need a rec from someone who taught you?

Members don't see this ad :)
In one of your remaining classes (upper lever courses might be smaller!), get to know the professor...go to office hours, sit up front, etc...it's possible.

And if you don't get one, who cares? I don't remember any schools requiring a letter from someone who taught you. It's better to have a solid LOR from a non-professor than a lukewarm professor LOR that will only speak to your unremarkability (not that it's true, but that's how it will read).

But what do I know? If you're worried about it, try to get one this semester or next.

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with you GG: Its better to focus on my PI recs and volunteer recs (which are stellar).

However, if a LoR from someone who taught you in college is required or "highly recommended" I would like to know, since I would schedule my coursework accordingly (select small classes).

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree with you GG: Its better to focus on my PI recs and volunteer recs (which are stellar).

However, if a LoR from someone who taught you in college is required or "highly recommended" I would like to know, since I would schedule my coursework accordingly (select small classes).

I do not go to a huge state school so I might not fully understand the large class size problem. but I would say that aside from doing well in a class, one way you can get a prof to recognize you/get to know you better is to go to their office hours. talk about the class, find something interesting that wasn't covered in the class, try to show the prof that you are trying to understand this topic more in depth than what is covered in class and use him/her as a tool to gather that information. Once you have conversed with them several times over the course of a semester (I mean don't be crazy and go in to the office hours all the time) you should be able to get an LOR that is what you need..

just my opinion

In answer to your question, I don't remember any school specifically requiring a letter from a teacher.

That being said, have you TAed any courses? I only had one professor LOR, and it was from someone for whom I TAed twice very successfully. She probably also talked about how I did well in the class. Maybe try TAing a course next semester and becoming close to the prof that way.

the best thing to do NOW is: develop a realistic list of schools to consider applying to (maybe buy book listing all the md programs and their class stats, etc like us news). go to those school's websites and see what they require so that you can plan your senior year to hit all the bases.

ex: if you might want to go to USC, you'll need to have taken biochem and mol bio as well as a certain number of hours of humanities. ucsd requires a year of math. letters work the same way.

if you need that teacher letter, you should be wary of the large class, sit in the front, go to office hours approach. not surprisingly many people are on to this, and you may be seen as just another pre-med/pre-??? who needs a letter that wastes the prof's time. instead, find a class where size dictates that the professor has to get to know you. be interested, do well, and stop by office hours when you have a legit reason to and ask the occaisonal post class question. then it will seem like you were actually interested in the class for a good reason. ideally, they'll ask YOU what you want to do with your life and then you can say med school and they'll offer to write the letter...

Similar question:
MD/Ph.D Hopeful...

I have only one PI letter since I only worked in one lab. Will that be a big problem. I certainly will have strong LORs from science/math professors (5-6 lors--Premed committee will get them in!).

Answers much appreciated!

Not a problem. I only had one PI LOR and I did fine. I worked in another lab for about 9 months, but it was a huge one and the PI probably doesn't even know who I am, so I saw no reason to try to get a LOR, even though he is one of the leaders in his field. I am a firm believer in the quality of LORs over quantity. Make sure your PI knows that you are applying MD/PhD. Give them some suggestions, like mentioning both your work ethic and your personality traits that will make you a good researcher and physician, etc. Just know that a couple of schools require more than one PI letter. Either don't apply to those schools (my suggestion), or write to them to ask for an exemption (they might just say its fine, take yoursecondairy application fee, and that will be the end of that). Good luck!