Getting a misdemeanor post match, what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nywst

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I am a post match MS4 and I recently received a speeding ticket. In my state all speeding tickets are misdemeanors (though in most states, I believe the speed I was going over would count as a misdemeanor). The citation was just for the speeding and I was not charged with anything else (reckless driving, etc.). I have already filled out all the background check info for the state licensing board where my new residency will be. I answered no to all the questions as at that time this was true. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do now. Should I be notifying anyone of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short I am a post match MS4 and I recently received a speeding ticket. In my state all speeding tickets are misdemeanors (though in most states, I believe the speed I was going over would count as a misdemeanor). The citation was just for the speeding and I was not charged with anything else (reckless driving, etc.). I have already filled out all the background check info for the state licensing board where my new residency will be. I answered no to all the questions as at that time this was true. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do now. Should I be notifying anyone of this?
Just get out of the speeding Tix… get a lawyer and easy enough… will cost you some money, but will give peace of mind.
But a misdemeanor usually doesn’t need to be reported.

Reactions: 1 user
Just get out of the speeding Tix… get a lawyer and easy enough… will cost you some money, but will give peace of mind.
But a misdemeanor usually doesn’t need to be reported.
Thank you for your reply! I have already hired a lawyer. He says that he will try to reduce it to a non moving violation. Only issue is that at the speed which I was going over, he’s not sure they would be willing to amend it. Also the courts are so backed up right now that my court date is still TBD. He said when all things are said and done the whole process may take several months (possibly a year depending on how quickly the court enters the case into their system). So the background checks I sent earlier would return possibly with a speeding charge that is labeled as a misdemeanor which I didn’t disclose at the time (because it hadn’t occurred yet).

Also I thought misdemeanors usually do need to be reported to state medical boards? For example in my state a first time DUI is a misdemeanor.

Slow down Speed Racer.

Otherwise, unless you're not telling us about the kilo of coke they found in your trunk, this is irrelevant.
No coke…but I was going 30 over which I recognize is more than just simple speeding. However that’s all they charged me with. I do really regret it. I didn’t even think I was actually going that fast but I guess when the road in front of you is completely empty things seem a bit different.

Is there some reason he shouldn't tell his new PD he got a speeding ticket? I mean ask your lawyer, I guess.... It's clearly causing him anxiety and I can't imagine the PD caring. I know I wouldn't if it was a new employee.

I would let your program know. Nobody is going to care about this in the slightest. What people might care about is you being dishonest, even if over something minor. Your institution may require disclosure of all charges. Another option is to disclose it at orientation, but honestly I'd just do it now. If it gets wiped away, still no harm.

Reactions: 2 users
I would let your program know. Nobody is going to care about this in the slightest. What people might care about is you being dishonest, even if over something minor. Your institution may require disclosure of all charges. Another option is to disclose it at orientation, but honestly I'd just do it now. If it gets wiped away, still no harm.
Thank you for your reply, would you also suggest disclosing this to the board of medicine for the state my residency is in? My application is currently pending, I submitted the background check info already for them.

Thank you for your reply, would you also suggest disclosing this to the board of medicine for the state my residency is in? My application is currently pending, I submitted the background check info already for them.
See what PD says. Just say you got a speeding ticket and speeding tickets are misdemeanors in your state. Don't go into how fast you were going. You can ask PD if it's necessary to update the medical board, but the truth is that at the time of submission everything was true, so I can't imagine it being an issue, other than at most possibly delaying your training license. Honestly most medical licenses exclude speeding violations when they ask about past charges anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s a speeding ticket. If it is indeed a misdemeanor in your state then answer all questions truthfully. Give your your PD a head up if your contract says you should. Nobody will GAF.

You already completed all paperwork and didn’t lie. You got the ticket after. You received a misdemeanor ticket but haven’t been charged yet, right? Which means you haven’t pled guilty or not-guilty…you got a lawyer which may reduce the actual sentence down to a citation. I wouldn’t mention anything to anyone now, also I promise you literally nobody cares about a speeding ticket (misdemeanor or not, even in the states that do classify speeding tickets as misdemeanors). If you lied and didn’t report a past misdemeanor on the application prior to submitting, that’s one thing. But you already submitted, and you got a ticket afterwards, and also you haven’t been charged technically, so you’re good, don’t worry about this now, have that lawyer figure it out and move on with your life. Promise this is a non-issue :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure PD's get speeding tickets too. I'm thinking it should not be a big deal but who knows. As someone above suggested talk to PD and see what s/he say. All the best!