getting a researsh job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lechatton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am looking to work at a research lab starting this summer.

i had an interview that went great, but didn't get the job.

i'm over it, but i couldn't help but think that my (now in retrospect strange) desire to let them know i want to apply to vet school this fall could not have been music to their ears, especially since some of the job postings i see require two year commitments.

so, how does one do it, walk the fine line between being appealing to employers but still not wanting to sign the next two years away?

is there hope; are some labs okay with hiring for one year, or should i play the card of "i have no timelines, i'm not sure when i'm going to vet school,' which in all honesty is true, i am not putting my eggs into the "acceptance on the first try" basket.

any input is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i work for a research lab, and can see why they may not have hired you if you will only be there for a year - money and time go into training an employee, not to mention that they will have to look for a replacement. however, there are several other ways to get some lab experience. sure, the jobs are more like lab assistant than tech (cleaning glassware, preparing gels, etc.), but you will get the feel of a lab, and see if it is something you are really interested in doing. we've had several work studies start this way and end up in med school or other professional programs. another way to get lab experience is through a class - maybe your university has a micro research class where you can do a small project in a lab for a quarter/semester and then write a paper?

You could try going through an agency like medfocus.com. They recruit for research companies and are often used to fill short-term openings (I think)

Members don't see this ad :)
is there hope; are some labs okay with hiring for one year, or should i play the card of "i have no timelines, i'm not sure when i'm going to vet school,' which in all honesty is true, i am not putting my eggs into the "acceptance on the first try" basket.

I would definitely be honest - you can certainly say that you're not sure when you're going to vet school, but you need to make it clear that you are applying. We had a tech in my lab last year who was hired in mid-spring for a two-year commitment, and told the PI that he was thinking about medical school...then informed us all that summer that he had already applied and was leaving in July! :eek:

I think that honesty about your intentions may preclude you from some positions, but speaking from personal experience, you will be happiest in an environment where people are supportive of your goals anyway!

Just keep applying to openings at your local university, etc. I was hired as a lab tech under similar circumstances. I was upfront with my boss about my plans and he hired me anyway. (He really needed help with things!) I ended up staying two years, but all I was able to commit to at the start was 1 year. Just be honest...you don't want to look irresponsible and you may need a recommendation from them some day!

i was in a similar situation in january, when i had yet to hear anything from any of the 7 schools i applied to. i told my future employer of my goals in life (as this seems to be a common question!) and was completely upfront about my application to vet school. i got hired. i think that employers at research firms are hoping, assuming you are a stellar candidate and highly qualified;), that if in fact you don't get into school on the first try, that you will stick around and gain some interesting experience, become an asset to the company, and maybe gain an honest interest in that field for the future; maybe even want to come back and work as a vet eventually.