Getting accepted without DO recommendation???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smokey223

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have researched all of the schools requirements to apply, and more than half require a rec from a DO. A few say that is is recommended but not required, and then a couple don't mention it. What I wanted to know was if there was anyone out there accepted to a school (that only recommended) without a DO rec??? I am guessing that all the schools would prefer to see it, and would more than likely interview a person who has a DO rec. I am in the process of trying to shadow a DO, but I am also applying right now...I was just too busy with school, work, and other stuff to remember I should shadow a DO...well, I know that is no excuse...but I'll shut up now! Any input would be great guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You're better of with a letter from a DO. Although you are right that some would rather get a letter from someone who knows you well. The secondaries will arrive late July, if you can get that DO you're shadowing to give you a letter of recommendation then you're set. You're better of with a letter from a DO though.... Good luck.

Overall, a DO or MD letter wouldn't make a big difference at an osteopathic school (except for the ones that require it). I applied to 4 osteopathic schools with an MD Rec letter. Accepted at three declined an interview at the 4th.

Not one mentioned the letter at the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
i sorta agree with both posters above... i don't think it makes a HUGE difference in the overall scheme of things, but a DO letter is most likely preferable. i think it helped me anyway.

i think some of the schools that require a DO letter will take an MD letter, they just don't make that known. for others reading this, remember if you have compelling reasons why you couldn't get a letter, fulfill certain courses, etc., etc., you can appeal the admissions committee. i did exactly that because of some prereqs i was "missing" (i wasn't really) and i was granted an exception to the requirement.

frog

i would think getting a letter from a DO would be an important factor for admission because it will show that you're not using DO schools as a back up for md schools, and it will show that u have some interst in the profession...

Smokey,
I was accepted into TCOM with letters from a MD. I was offered interviews at three other DO schools (Western, PCOM, and Michigan) with letters just from MD's. The decision you have to make is whether a "form" letter from a DO that you haven't known for very long will be as good as a true recommendation from another Doc that you might know better. Personally I think that the recommendation letter made the difference in my acceptances. Anyway good luck either way.

TweetyPie,

Accepted at Touro, KCOM, UHS. I declined the interview at DMU. Hope this helps.

I applied, and was accepted, to KCOM without a letter of reccomendation from a DO or an MD. I used the option to get a letter from an employer and it worked well.

I think the schools realize how eazy it may be for some people to get a DO letter of reccomendation without the doctor really even knowing the student very well. I think it you have spent some time (and I don't mean an afternoon or two) with the doctor and you know about osteopathy then you should go out of your way to get that letter otherwise hey I did fine without it. But who knows.

Maybe it would depend of what your other letters are like and what your GPA and MCAT are. I would guess that if you have a lower GPA and MCAT and you might be a student that was on the borderline of getting accepted then the DO letter might really help.

Thanks Everyone for the great responses. I believe for me that I have really great recommendations from my professors as well as my employers. I will still try to get a recommendation from a physician, but it will be tough. Like Frog said earlier, I just didn't have time with everything else I was doing to shadow nor do I have a lot of time now. We'll see! Good luck to everyone!

Hey Smokey,

I was in the same situation as you last year. This is what you do. For some DO schools send them a MD letter. For others send them a DO letter as soon as you get one. That way you don't risk the chance of being rejected by all of your schools because of some DO who barely knows you and writes a junky letter in your behalf.

You should do all within your power to ensure that the DO writes you a good letter. Be smart, write one for him as an example and say he can use it if he wants. Physicians are heck a busy so help them out. Tell them what you want them to write.

MSU
PCOM
DMU

- don't need a letter.

During my LECOM interview, they told us that they'd rather have a doctor (MD/DO) that knows you well than just another DO letter of rec.

applied at eight, interviewed and accepted at five and declined interview at two.
Had a gletter from the MD that I shadowed and my employer, because I worked full-time.

The five schools I interviewed at basically wanted to know "why DO?" rather than "why didn't you shadow a DO?"

funny thing is, now it seems like I find DOs everywhere, yet before couldn't find one anywhere.

get the most effective letters that you can , regardless of who they are from. Ask for more than you need and get them to your pre-med advisor or committee. They can help you choose the best letters.

electra

Members don't see this ad :)
Got into KCOM and UHS with two MD rec's, no DO rec's. Waitlisted at UNT-TCOM.

Rejected from PCOM twice - no interview even after shadowing experience with a DO. I was thinking that PCOM "recommended" a DO letter but realistically required one...maybe not.

Hello everyone again! I have another question...How long did some of you know the D.O. for before asking for a recommendation? Or if you shadowed a D.O. how long did you shadow before asking for a recommendation? I have arranged to shadow a D.O. but he is so busy, so I won't know how long it will last!

Smokey,

It really depends. Most DO's I know will write you a letter after shadowing them for an hour or so. Some will want you to come numerous times.

Again, if you shadow them only once or twice and then ask for a letter, you have to include information such as a resume, and example recommendation letter you wrote for yourself etc.

If you are in doubt, then ask the physician what to do. Explain the situation to him. Don't be afraid. Tell him up front that you want the experience and also a letter. See what he says and ask him what he/she wants you to do.

Before you decide you want to become something, you should know what exactly it is you are becoming. This is why it is important to shadow or at least talk to a DO before deciding that's what you want to be. It's not just for a letter of recommendation but it shows just how committed you are to learning more about the osteopathic philosophy. The DOs that I have met have been more than willing to sit down and talk to me. Some are so excited that you are interested in osteopathic medicine that they would be more than willing to write a letter for you.

You probably could get away with not having a letter of recommendation from a DO but it would be better for you to first talk to a DO and get he/she to write you a letter. It could only help you to not only get accepted into DO school but to become a better DO one day.

hi tweety,

accepted at TUCOM, UHS, KCOM, COMP, MSUCOM.

chose UHS.

electra

I found a DO in Rochester (a radiology resident) through a friend who's an MD...the DO said that I can draft a letter and he'll look it over and sign it...what do you guys think of that?...

I guess they will be able to discuss the close relationship you two have. Seriously, if all the school is interested in is knowing that you have had some, (an hour or two) exposure to Osteopathy then why do they not say so and just ask for such proof. A letter of reference is just that, a reference, and it is supposed to be one person, who has the moral authority to do so, saying what a great person you are and how much you will contribute etc... For someone you hardly knows to do this means that you both have to lie, defeating the intent of the reference. By the way, this is directed at the process, not at you personally Brazilmed. Having to waste one of the few opportunities that we get to reveal something other than statistics about ourselves is unfair. I want all the letters of req to be from those who know me because they are the ones who will do me justice.

yup, sean is right the process is kinda unusual on its demands...CCOM and AZCOM are two of the schools that i'm applying to and do require a DO letter...I have no alternative :( , but in good faith , the DO said that he'll sit down and talk to me (look at my CV as well)...i think the internet got me really interested in osteopathic schools, more than allopathic schools...they are more down to earth and willing to serve give a pure heart without caring about the two letters that come after their names... :) go DO's!!!

hey guys
can some one tell me how to find a do to shawdow? Do you go to the yellow pages and call one up? Or write them a letter?
Would it be wise to use your family practicianer? :confused:

Hi pjyrkinen! In answer to finding a DO to shadow...I work at a hospital, so I just got in touch with the education department, and someone there was able to set me up with a DO to shadow. A lot of hospitals usually have programs for students.

Originally posted by pjyrkinen:
•hey guys
can some one tell me how to find a do to shawdow? Do you go to the yellow pages and call one up? Or write them a letter?
Would it be wise to use your family practicianer? :confused:

Is your FP a DO? then if so, then I say go for it.... Ask your FP for a letter of rec if he/she is a DO. If not, as you can see from other posters, you can probably use this for some of the osteopathic med schools. Either way, go ask for the letter of recommendation. As long as it's good and reflex how you are as a person and a potential doctor, then I don't see it doing any harm..... Good luck and best wishes.

Which schools REQUIRE or should I say DO NOT REQUIRE a letter from a DO? Just curious. I'd like to make a chart or something.

The reason osteopathic schools have traditionally required letters from a DO is because osteopathy is a minority (in number of practitioners and medical colleges) and far fewer applicants and people in general understand that it is medicine. The situation is somewhat somewhat improved. Another reason is because a fair number of applicants really want to attend MD schools and know little about osteopathy except it is medical and you can be called "doctor." Indeed, many DOs did not (and may still not) use manipulation at all in their practices.

Until the 1970s the allopathic profession fought licensing of osteopaths as physicians; when that became a lost cause, they suggested a merger of the two. That too, was beaten back by osteopaths. Today, there is a kind of uneasy peace since the osteopaths will not go away; snobbery still prevails here and there.

I am neither an MD nor DO, but I think the DO schools ought to continue asking for evidence that applicants have at least spoken with DOs. The military does not distinguish between the two in recruitment, enlistment, rank, pay and in military medical practice; that should be enough of a "seal of approval and equality" for DOs, if such is needed.