Getting an accountant

Started by takotsubo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

takotsubo

...
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My new job is an independent contractor position and I am looking for an accountant. How does one go about finding one and especially one that knows what they are doing when it comes to our profession?
 
My new job is an independent contractor position and I am looking for an accountant. How does one go about finding one and especially one that knows what they are doing when it comes to our profession?

Word of mouth is by far the best. Ask other physicians/professionals that have similiar incomes as yours and go with someone they have had good luck with.

Do not be afraid to 'interview them'... meet with a few different ones if you do have the luxury of options and go with someone that you feel you can be comfortable with.

Call them up, say I am Dr so and so, and you were recommended by so and so. I would like to visit with you about my taxes/futures. Most will be more than happy to do so as you are a potential fat (money) customer of theirs...
 
Agree with asking your peers for recommendations.

However, if thats difficult in your situation, you can always begin by checking out :

http://www.mdtaxes.com/

That is an outdated website, but the contact person can direct you to a CPA in your state that specializes in issues relating to MDs.
 
Word of mouth is by far the best. Ask other physicians/professionals that have similiar incomes as yours and go with someone they have had good luck with.

Do not be afraid to 'interview them'... meet with a few different ones if you do have the luxury of options and go with someone that you feel you can be comfortable with.

Call them up, say I am Dr so and so, and you were recommended by so and so. I would like to visit with you about my taxes/futures. Most will be more than happy to do so as you are a potential fat (money) customer of theirs...

I agree. Stick with word of mouth. A good accountant is hard to find, but priceless when you dig one up.