Getting an accountant

Discussion in 'Finance and Investment' started by takotsubo, Jul 25, 2011.

1. takotsubo

takotsubo ...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My new job is an independent contractor position and I am looking for an accountant. How does one go about finding one and especially one that knows what they are doing when it comes to our profession?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Word of mouth is by far the best. Ask other physicians/professionals that have similiar incomes as yours and go with someone they have had good luck with.

Do not be afraid to 'interview them'... meet with a few different ones if you do have the luxury of options and go with someone that you feel you can be comfortable with.

Call them up, say I am Dr so and so, and you were recommended by so and so. I would like to visit with you about my taxes/futures. Most will be more than happy to do so as you are a potential fat (money) customer of theirs...

4. JohnGT

Attending Physician
    Agree with asking your peers for recommendations.

However, if thats difficult in your situation, you can always begin by checking out :

http://www.mdtaxes.com/

That is an outdated website, but the contact person can direct you to a CPA in your state that specializes in issues relating to MDs.

5. TexasPhysician

Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree. Stick with word of mouth. A good accountant is hard to find, but priceless when you dig one up.