Getting an Assignment I Want

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a PGY1 EM HPSP resident in a civilian program. I'll be entering active duty in two years. I have been able to determine what my possible assignments are upon completion of residency, some sound very fun, some not so fun. Like anything in this world, I am very aware that who you know is much more important than what you know. So I am seeking out those who have recently acquired their first assignment and what they did to increase the chances of getting a favorable assignment, and whether it worked or not. Specifically, how can I find out how to get in contact with the people who make the decisions about which doc fills which slot? Also, am I at a severe disadvantage compared to the EPs coming out of the military residency programs (with regards to placement, not training, obviously?)
 
This is what you need to do. First figure out where you want to go. Once you have established your preference, begin a dialogue with the department head or the person in charge of your department where you would like to be stationed....be aware, that this person may not be a physician...might be a nurse, or physician extender....be prepared to swallow your pride and suck up to these people. Convince them why you will be an asset to the command.

They will then follow up with the specialty leader and detailer to help you get to that duty station.

You can also contact the detailer/specialty leader to plead your case. Being an intern, your detailer and specialty leader will likely have changed by the time you are up for orders....probably the same for the department where you will like to be stationed...so this is something that can wait until 2 years before you come on active duty.

Be prepared to not get what you want. Good luck.
 
I agree with MilMD on the strategy for your duty station preference.

If you have a special needs child or wife with special medical condition, let the detailer know. You will get into the exceptional family member program. In the navy, that usually keeps you around the major treatment facilities, not sure what the other services do.

Typically, post-residency physicians are given overseas billets first in the navy, however, due to staff shortage, stateside billets are possible, especially in the current climate. You still have time to get your ducks in a row.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Desperado said:
I have been able to determine what my possible assignments are upon completion of residency
How were you able to determine this? Are you looking at the chart that shows which locations have which specialties, or can you figure out which of those locations will have vacancies?
 
NJEMT1 said:
How were you able to determine this? Are you looking at the chart that shows which locations have which specialties, or can you figure out which of those locations will have vacancies?


I don't know where the vacancies will be in 2 years, but after talking to any old EP in the AF it is very clear where the 15 or so places you can go are. They only put EPs at bases that have EDs.
 
Desperado said:
I don't know where the vacancies will be in 2 years, but after talking to any old EP in the AF it is very clear where the 15 or so places you can go are. They only put EPs at bases that have EDs.

There are actually 18 bases with ED positions in the AF. They are: Andrews, Eglin, Elmendorf, Keesler, Lackland, Lakenheath, Landstuhl, Langley, Luke, MacDill, Nellis, Offut, Osan, Scott, Travis, USAF Academy, Wright Patterson, and Yokota. I have a copy of the spreadsheet that lists each base and it's EM coordinator (with contact info) as well as the consultant and assignment officer info for EM. If you would like a copy of this spreadsheet, just let me know and I'll be happy to forward it to you.

erdoc01
 
r90t said:
I agree with MilMD on the strategy for your duty station preference.

If you have a special needs child or wife with special medical condition, let the detailer know. You will get into the exceptional family member program. In the navy, that usually keeps you around the major treatment facilities, not sure what the other services do.

Typically, post-residency physicians are given overseas billets first in the navy, however, due to staff shortage, stateside billets are possible, especially in the current climate. You still have time to get your ducks in a row.

My family was on the AF exceptional family member program. Before I could be given an assignment, an additional review board had to convene and make sure where I was going to be transferred had the necessary facilities to support my family.

Working both sides (future department and detailer) is the way to go. Having the department make a "by name" request is a good start but can wait until you're about a year out from the assignment.
 
erdoc01 said:
There are actually 18 bases with ED positions in the AF. They are: Andrews, Eglin, Elmendorf, Keesler, Lackland, Lakenheath, Landstuhl, Langley, Luke, MacDill, Nellis, Offut, Osan, Scott, Travis, USAF Academy, Wright Patterson, and Yokota. I have a copy of the spreadsheet that lists each base and it's EM coordinator (with contact info) as well as the consultant and assignment officer info for EM. If you would like a copy of this spreadsheet, just let me know and I'll be happy to forward it to you.

erdoc01

Wow! There are some great bases in there to choose from! I guess I'll start reconsidering EM.
 
Desperado said:
Now if I can only figure out a way to avoid deployments to Baghdad.....

Isn't that why you went with the Chair Farce in the first place? 😉
 
LOL> Although we had a presentation today from one of my faculty members who did some recent work in Afghanistan. It looked like a lot of fun, but not for the 10 months he was stuck there. I think 3 would be a great experience, but long deployments have got to suck.
 
HeavyD said:
Isn't that why you went with the Chair Farce in the first place? 😉

Don't know about you, but my "chair" seems to keep getting ordered to Baghdad. Luckily, the chair's attached to an expensive piece of hardware, so I get to bring it out again pretty quickly, but I've still seen Baghdad in that lovely green glow of NVGs about 10 too many times 😡

Oh, Mr. Madface is for Iraq. Interservice teasing only buys a 😴