Getting an Incomplete on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing research for biology independent research course credit and having major issues with finishing up my paper by the end of the semester since my research mentor (not at my college) is having some family issues and and constantly cancels my meetings with him. There's nobody else available that I could go to for help on the research either. Should I ask the professor in charge of the course for an extension on the deadline? ...I think it's possible to get an "incomplete" for the course, then turn the paper in next semester. How bad does an incomplete look on the transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

I know at my school. Incompletes are completely removed for the transcript when you get your final grade :)

I'm doing research for biology independent research course credit and having major issues with finishing up my paper by the end of the semester since my research mentor (not at my college) is having some family issues and and constantly cancels my meetings with him. There's nobody else available that I could go to for help on the research either. Should I ask the professor in charge of the course for an extension on the deadline? ...I think it's possible to get an "incomplete" for the course, then turn the paper in next semester. How bad does an incomplete look on the transcript?
If you can explain it, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If they ask, explain why there is an incomplete, and the adcoms won't hold it against you. They probably won't even ask about a single incomplete that was completed the next term, assuming your other stats are good. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know at my school. Incompletes are completely removed for the transcript when you get your final grade :)

i just found out my school does it same thing.. but now the question is if the professor will even accept an incomplete for this reason. i technically did all the research during the summer but am registered for the course in the fall since there's no summer registration for research. but i've been trying to get in touch with my mentor all semester without much luck :(

i just found out my school does it same thing.. but now the question is if the professor will even accept an incomplete for this reason. i technically did all the research during the summer but am registered for the course in the fall since there's no summer registration for research. but i've been trying to get in touch with my mentor all semester without much luck :(

I had an incomplete on my transcript, but I made sure that it was changed to a real grade before I applied. I still got in. Try your best to avoid the incomplete, I was asked about it on interviews, but it won't keep you out if you do have it.