Getting an MPH before MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flashcard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what MD/PhD programs think of people who get an MPH before applying for MD/PhD programs.

1) I already have a ton of research experience, so I am not worried about this aspect of my application.

2) Though I love basic science research (and am committed to having a future career as a physician scientist), I am really looking forward to doing a master's in public health and incorporating what I learn into my career.

However, will schools want to see that I do research during my year off instead of doing an MPH? Does anyone have any experience in this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no personal experience, but I could totally see you selling this re: clinical-translational research. If your research could intersect with Epi sorts of things, it may be a valuable experience.

I know many MSTPs are interested in training basic science researchers, so you might have to find a program that fits your interests.

My impression about the type of work MPH's do is that it is extremely different from basic science research (PhD type) work.

While it certainly wouldn't hurt your application, I would be curious to know how realistic it is that you can do both types of work in one career, given that they seem to be on almost opposite ends of the research spectrum.

Anyway, not to be a cynic, as I think you should make anything that you want to do work for you, I just feel like I have talked to a lot of UGs who don't really understand what an MPH trains you for (usually these students are interested in doing international clinic work).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be curious to know how realistic it is that you can do both types of work in one career, given that they seem to be on almost opposite ends of the research spectrum.

I'm not sure if I will follow through and actually get an MPH degree, but I have enough credits to be about half-way there if I choose to continue. I am mostly interested in having a solid foundation in public and community health, epidemiology, and infectious disease because I have always wanted to pattern my own career similar to that of Albert Schweitzer. Ideally, I would like to spend a few months a year working in a small clinic in an underserved part of the world, such as Africa or S. Asia. How realistic is it to manage a clinical career, run a lab, AND help manage and administrate a public health organization (PHO)? Well that remains to be seen. However, many other MD/PHDs have found a balance between their careers, and additional responsibilities, such as sitting on boards of PHOs and other agencies.

(usually these students are interested in doing international clinic work)

exactly.

I have an MPH and am now in an MD/PhD program. It was only after I did the MPH that I realized I wanted more research training. My MPH was very much concentrated on programming and evaluation. If you ever have thoughts about being an administrator it can be a useful degree.

If you're a wet lab sort of person I don't see the point as far as your career. Maybe better to take a class or two in stats and epi and work in the lab the rest of the time. But if have the money and a year off and are passionate about it, don't worry too much about how it's going to look.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

If you think you have a trajectory in policy or admin at some point in the distant future, an MPH will put you in good stead, I reckon - depends where you get it from, too, though.

I have an MSPH in Epidemiology and like 8 years of wet-lab research (before, after, and during). I did the MSPH because I wanted to learn Epidemiology due to the research I do bieng on host pathogen relationships which involve a lot of population and field based work. Im applying soon for the MD/PhD and comments have been positive about my additional degree, despite the time I took off post-undergrad in order to do it. I've never stepped entirely out of the lab though, and my epi based research involved wet-lab manipulations, culture technique development, micro-array and protein-array work.....so I don't think I every fully lost the academic lab flavor that MSTP programs proportedly look for (at least I hope I did not).

I don't know of any reputable MPH degrees that are only 1 year though (unless you already have an MD) so you probably wnat to plan for two years at least to follow this course through if you decided to do the masters.