Getting another letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a 4th LoR at this point in the game be at all useful? Would it bolster my application at programs that have granted me interviews already? I just got my ICU grade back and the course director (sort of a bigwig, always part of an NIH trial or two) wrote some really nice things in his eval. He attended for a week during my month so he actually does knows me. Basically, I'm pretty sure it'd be a strong LoR but I'm not sure if programs would care or if it's all about the interview at this juncture. Thoughts? Comments? Personal attacks? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it would change things much. If they already invited you, you have passed the major hurdle. Unless he is known by most or all anesthesiologists, it wouldn't affect things much. Everyone knows anyone can find someone to write them a strong letter (few exceptions and not to discount how hard u worked!).

That said, if your interviewer is CCM, that might impress them IF they read your letters at all.

If this is to stimulate other progs to OFFER interviews, I think it is a little late. I doubt it would change anything unless the letter writer is the best friend of the reader AND they have the power to offer an interview.

MY op, good luck!