getting back into pharmacy 2014 grad

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by baronzb, Aug 3, 2015.

1. baronzb

2+ Year Member

I am a 2014 grad. I took a hiatus for a non-pharmacy related one year masters. The middle of next month, I will take the Naplex. I have an out-of-date retail internship from a couple years ago, a couple rotation (retail) references and a reference from my dean I worked with on projects.

At this point, I really don't know what to do to get work. I'm open to any position, part time, full time, etc. Should I try for another intern position? Can I apply to states I don't have a license in? Are there any recruiters out there? I was hoping to work in my area, but it is saturated and I am willing to move.

School left me high and dry and there is no career center. I'm open to advice and guidance, along the lines of finding work, from the great people on this forum.

2. Z-Qualizer

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Just curious... after earning a pharmd, what made you decide to go back to school for a non-pharmacy related masters? If you wanted to go to school an extra year, why not a PGY1? Or did you try for one and not get it? Also, what did you study in this masters program?

3. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No one is going to hire you as an intern, since you are already licensed as a pharmacist. All you can do is just keep applying, especially to non-desirable areas, eventually someone will hire you, then once you get some experience you can look to transfer back to the area you want to live.

4. farmadiazepine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You walk into every single independent pharmacy in your area within a 15 mile radius and tell them you are looking for work and are willing to learn. I'm not even joking. I have blindly walked into places and just started conversation, just handed a resume, just exchanged numbers, and now here I am getting full time calls left and right. I am turning down like 2 to 3 full time job offers a week.

Network! It's as simple as getting out of the house, off of the time, and actually meeting people face to face. One of the most attractive job offers I ever got in Manhattan for a specialty pharmacy, I was offered simply because I cold called at the right time, and it turns out the owner and PIC was going overseas the next day and told me to work. She comes back and who gets offered a full time job without even having to interview?

I cannot stress enough, call, fax, go in to pharmacies, ask for numbers of DMs, literally whor* yourself out because you need to get the word out that you are good and available.

5. baronzb

2+ Year Member

Sorry, I am taking the Naplex soon, not licensed. I should have clarified. This is why I am looking for student internships, as, at least of a couple years ago, was an easy way to get in. However, it seems things have changed. I'm not an expert here, but most of the chains have taken away the intern budget, which used to be corporate given. Interns seem to come out of the tech budget now? Additionally, I have been told to put in an app through the website (also a change). The websites are odd: You have to choose what school you are in and grad date, which is now 2015. Is a grad intern a viable option? How do these work these days? A couple years ago, a gal would just go out to the boonies, about an 40 minutes from the school and have no competition, application, etc....

I did a lot of calling today. I got an independent free work experience offer quite far out. I guess I'll take it, and in the mean time study on my days off. It's been a while since I did insurance and from what I heard, there is more emphasis on customer service in independent pharmacy, particularly counseling. I assume they want me to do tech work. I hate counting. What should I ask to do with that in mind? How many days would it look good to put in/week?

Thanks for the help :)

6. SClENCE

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Just take the test and apply as a pharmacist. Applying as an intern is a waste of time and probably won't even help.

BidingMyTime likes this.
  7. baronzb

2+ Year Member

My references are from over a year ago. I heard once one is in the company, it is easier to transition full time? Naplex is definitely my first priority and I am scheduled to take in a month.