Getting back to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbest

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Just wondering if any Canadians went to medical school and completed residency/fellowship in the US and then made it back to Canada to practice. Specifically, I'm looking into Alberta and Ontario. I'm in my final year of Physiatry (PM&R) and am doing a Pain Medicine fellowship next year. I'm planning on becoming board certified in the US through the ABMS in both PM&R and Pain, which, based on my research, should make things just the slightest bit easier. Really, I just want to know what I can do to get back and be able to practice with as unrestricted a license as possible right from the start. Do I have to become board certified in Physiatry through the RCPSC? Should I just take the MCC exams? For anyone who has been through this convoluted journey, can you walk me through the process you took? Anything to make this process easier. Thanks in advance!

cbest

Members don't see this ad.

The best resource in Ontario is Health Force Ontario. Register with them on their website, and ask to be assigned an advisor. HFO advisors are there to explain the process of applying for a medical licence in Ontario and they have job listings. It is their job to help doctors like you.
http://www.healthforceontario.ca/en/Home/Physicians

the only resource I know of for Alberta is this one: http://apljobs.ca/

In general, it is well known that a getting a canadian standard medical licence involves passing all canadian medical examinations: MCC EE, MCC QE Part I and MCC QE Part II, as well as the royal college exam. Having these credentials gives you the flexibility to apply for a medical licence in any province or territory.

Tip: Check with www.mcc.ca to see it it still has a rule that if you have already passed your American exam in your specialty, then you can skip the MCC EE. (I don't know if you already passed that exam though; maybe you've already done that one.)

Still, every licensing authority has its own processes and regulations. It would be helpful for you to contact the licensing College in both Ontario and Alberta to find out what those other pathways are. Restrictions may be geographical, not scope of practice.
www.fmrac.ca

Before you can take the royalcollege exam, you have to go through their assessment process. Contact the college or go on their website to find out how to get this done. www.royalcollege.ca

You can do it.

Thanks for the info!

Anyone have any experience with Pathway 3 in Ontario or the Practice Readiness Assessment pathway in Alberta? Did it affect your billing and/or payment at all? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!

Anyone have any experience with Pathway 3 in Ontario or the Practice Readiness Assessment pathway in Alberta? Did it affect your billing and/or payment at all? Thanks!

I am going to be starting the pathway 3 process in January after tentatively accepting a job in Ontario. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks Old Mil, look forward to hearing about your experience!