Getting COVID during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camng11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How has programs handling when residents get covid during residency? Do they have to re-do their rotation if they are in the middle of it? It will be terrible if you have to delay/redo rotations and residents are becoming scared to be tested for covid just because quarantine might delay their residency

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the party. If an attending gets COVID...many are out for two weeks...lose that time in both vacation and compensation. Since you had a flimsy surgical mask on...there’s no way it could have been acquired at work.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
8 of the 12 residents in my program have had it. No one had to repeat anything or will be delaying graduation.

However, this is probably program dependent.

Reactions: 1 user
8 of the 12 residents in my program have had it. No one had to repeat anything or will be delaying graduation.

However, this is probably program dependent.
They may not be repeating or delayed, but I have to imagine it's costing them something somewhere, be it vacation, elective, or more call.

How has programs handling when residents get covid during residency? Do they have to re-do their rotation if they are in the middle of it? It will be terrible if you have to delay/redo rotations and residents are becoming scared to be tested for covid just because quarantine might delay their residency
This varies by specialty, but many of the specialties have allowed for different types of "training" to be completed during the 1-2 weeks if you get sick with COVID so that it is not counted against you as time you need to "make up" for your training. That said, it will often eat into elective or vacation time and you will have calls you need to make up when you return depending on the program.

I'd imagine most specialties with lots of direct patient contact have had residents that tested positive, we have. It works out.

Reactions: 2 users
The good news is I'd assume that incoming interns will be vaccinated upon orientation if they hadn't already been with the start of the next academic year. Probably starting m3s as well.

They may not be repeating or delayed, but I have to imagine it's costing them something somewhere, be it vacation, elective, or more call.
Oh man it would be nice if they took make up call. I've now covered every holiday so far this year because of this stupid virus.

I don't actually think they're being asked to make it up in any way. The American Board of Plastic Surgery recently said residents may take up to 12 weeks leave in addition to their vacations during residency without making it up. I think it was intended to be maternity leave. Too bad they didn't come out with that a year earlier. I didn't take vacation for a year because I was trying to save up the weeks to take for maternity. Terrible timing. But good timing for people who got COVID!

Yeah, I mean, I got covid, and it was hardly a vacation. I was just struggling to breathe hoping not to die for like 2 weeks, and felt like shyte for another 2 weeks. 9 months later my sense of smell is still pretty diminished.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, I mean, I got covid, and it was hardly a vacation. I was just struggling to breathe hoping not to die for like 2 weeks, and felt like shyte for another 2 weeks. 9 months later my sense of smell is still pretty diminished.
Man I'm sorry, that sucks. 7 of my 8 colleagues had 3 or fewer days of fever/aches then just hung out at home for the rest of quarantine. One ended up in the ICU but is on the road to recovery thankfully. Certainly not a vacation for anyone. I think that's one of the scary things about this virus, you don't know if you'll be one of the people who just has some flu like symptoms or if you'll end up on ECMO.

Reactions: 3 users
Our program you don’t have to make up time missed from COVID/being a PUI.

I’m not sure what happens if you miss so many days they can’t really say you did the rotation.

Am IM, but one of our guys missed 2 months at the very beginning when no one was sure how bad it was going to be.

Apparently the ACGME said that no residents should have graduation limited due to COVID, but probably means you make up required rotations on the back end and lose elective time.

Welcome to the party. If an attending gets COVID...many are out for two weeks...lose that time in both vacation and compensation. Since you had a flimsy surgical mask on...there’s no way it could have been acquired at work.

This is horrible and really emphasizes the state of our country. Politicians and business people are giving themselves hazard pay to do zoom meetings while we work on the front lines often for less compensation than before.

These will certainly be looked at as dark days

This, the people in my program who were out for Covid are on call way more now. Almost like a punishment.

EM PGY-2 here. Several of us have had COVID, I was on an EM month. I just have to pay back shifts to the residents that covered my shifts when it was required. ABEM is allowing for us to have had a 2 week quarantine/time off and still be eligible for board certification. We just had to log non-clinical hours working on our research projects, in service review questions, etc. to get credit for the time we were off

This, the people in my program who were out for Covid are on call way more now. Almost like a punishment.

Another way of looking at it...the residents that didn’t get COVID were punished by take extra shifts because of the sick residents. I don’t think that’s fair either.

Reactions: 4 users