Getting Cs in classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumber007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will getting Cs in Neuro and GI systems affect my chances of getting residency with the merger?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't. Nobody cares about grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No. But those are two really high yield systems. Figure out what you didn't understand before boards.

No. But those are two really high yield systems. Figure out what you didn't understand before boards.

I am spending more time studying for boards than for classes. Might have to find a way to make them parallel

Relax. Board scores trump grades. Figure out why you got those grades, fill in the gaps in regards to boards, and kill it.

You're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I am spending more time studying for boards than for classes. Might have to find a way to make them parallel

Not gonna lie, I don't really fully understand the difference. How are you studying for boards/ what are you using?

Will getting Cs in Neuro and GI systems affect my chances of getting residency with the merger?
No, sort of...if they (and poor shelf/prognostic exams) affect how you do on Boards, then it's an issue you might want to worry about.

EDIT: but to specify: PDs don't care about your pre-clinical GPA.

Not gonna lie, I don't really fully understand the difference. How are you studying for boards/ what are you using?

Doing pathoma rn. Then FA and then Uworld. Heard that this is all we need to do great on boards

If only saying "I'll make up for all of it on boards" was all it took.

Reactions: 2 users
I would sacrifice an A for B in order to study for boards. I wouldn't sacrifice a B for C though. Keeping your gpa above a 3.0 has benefits - some programs require a 3.0/4 in order to do an away rotation there, for example.

Doing pathoma rn. Then FA and then Uworld. Heard that this is all we need to do great on boards

Pretty anemic honestly. I think you need to invest in more like golijan or something. I mean FA and Pathoma don't occupy that much time. What are you doing with your time?

I would sacrifice an A for B in order to study for boards. I wouldn't sacrifice a B for C though. Keeping your gpa above a 3.0 has benefits - some programs require a 3.0/4 in order to do an away rotation there, for example.

I agree, not for the 3.0 benefit, but mostly because I think if you're dipping into the C range then you're clearly beginning to miss out on legitimately worth while content.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, not for the 3.0 benefit, but mostly because I think if you're dipping into the C range then you're clearly beginning to miss out on legitimately worth while content.

Our class average has been in C's for both of these classes exams. So, it's combination of non-board relevant questions on the exam and not putting in enough time in class

Depends on your school. My school had a lot of non-board relevant material being presented and other board-relevant material not being presented.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you a first year or second year?

For first year and even this early in second, I'd argue that building a solid foundation IS Boards prep.

Reactions: 5 users
Not to pile on, but I agree with the above, consistent C's probably means you are missing stuff you shouldn't be. That said having a C, especially 1st semester isn't abnormal at all. Occasional C on an exam is no big deal, consistent C's and I personally start to worry about not knowing what I should. Also 79 is not the same as 70. If your talking 77's when the class average is 80, then your not that far off, but if you are 9-10 percent below average, you need to do something about that.

Are you a first year or second year?

For first year and even this early in second, I'd argue that building a solid foundation IS Boards prep.

100% agree with this. Instead of going through Pathoma, you should be reading Robbins. I thought Pathoma was more of a "review" than an actual primary teaching tool. You can go through all of Pathoma in a week which is what I did right before dedicated and it worked out for me.

100% agree with this. Instead of going through Pathoma, you should be reading Robbins. I thought Pathoma was more of a "review" than an actual primary teaching tool. You can go through all of Pathoma in a week which is what I did right before dedicated and it worked out for me.

I've used Pathoma as a preview tool for lecture and it had made my life a ton easier. Wouldn't say its a resource that should be only used during dedicated, but it can make the basic understanding of a concept much easier to understand, before using text book sources.

Not to pile on, but I agree with the above, consistent C's probably means you are missing stuff you shouldn't be. That said having a C, especially 1st semester isn't abnormal at all. Occasional C on an exam is no big deal, consistent C's and I personally start to worry about not knowing what I should. Also 79 is not the same as 70. If your talking 77's when the class average is 80, then your not that far off, but if you are 9-10 percent below average, you need to do something about that.

My class rank is within top 1/2 of the class for all semesters. So, I didn't really think that class ranks matter because my C's are usually 78-79. I got As in most basic sciences, except pharm/micro (88, 89) and was in top 20% of the class after 1st semester. So, I have to get a lot of Cs for my GPA to drop below 3.0. But I am planning on putting a little more effort in classes and getting those Bs. So far Cs in Clin Neuro and GI

I just wasn't sure how many C's does it take before PDs at Harvard, NYU or other competitive residencies for would start to worry about them

I just wasn't sure how many C's does it take before PDs at Harvard, NYU or other competitive residencies for would start to worry about them
Well lucky as a DO you don't need to worry about what Harvard NYU or very competative residencies think, you won't be at those places :p . If you have 78, 79 I wouldn't sweat the C's at all.

Even if you're #1 in your class with 260+ Step 1 and Step 2 scores along w/ pubs, your chances to getting your application read by the IM PD at Harvard is 0.

Recognizing that this is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer --- the "best way" to "study" for boards -- is to do really well in your classes during 1st and 2nd year....do you really think that if you don't know something well enough during the semester that you're going to be able to do multiple passes at a thorough review AND relearn what you don't know since it'll all be likely so far back in the memory banks that you'll have to relearn it? No, know your stuff and take good notes -- board prep is about reviewing material you already know well and working plenty of test questions......

So just for your general fund of medical knowledge -- I had failed first year and had to repeat the entire year -- and my attending surgeon took me to dinner at the country club were he was a member and offered to make a phone call to the PD at the Mass General surgery program (who was one of his med school buddies) to get me a slot if I wanted surgery....

If all you've got to offer is great scores and good grades but you're a neurotic twit to work with and show no hustle -- you might match a transitional year in the Havana VD wards....

Reactions: 2 users
So just for your general fund of medical knowledge -- I had failed first year and had to repeat the entire year -- and my attending surgeon took me to dinner at the country club were he was a member and offered to make a phone call to the PD at the Mass General surgery program (who was one of his med school buddies) to get me a slot if I wanted surgery....

If all you've got to offer is great scores and good grades but you're a neurotic twit to work with and show no hustle -- you might match a transitional year in the Havana VD wards....

That's great man! I was just worried about C's piling up. I do study and make my own notes but I am not studying in parallel to current classes. I am reviewing board material from 1st year. Hopefully will catch up with classes by the end of this semester

Bc your DO bloodline tarnishes the royal Harvard bloodline. There's an incest mixing among MD royal elites when it comes to IM residencies.

Tell you a secret. I was born to make all future generations graduating from harvard working at Mass gen, muggles. Don't tell anyone