getting degree at foreign university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mavi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering does anyone know if you are an American citizen can you go to a foreign university to get a MD degree and use it in the US? I was reading around online and saw someone said that a lot of American students go to the Caribbean to get their degrees and then some people said foreign degrees aren't acceptable and you'd have to do the whole thing over. Any information would be great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering does anyone know if you are an American citizen can you go to a foreign university to get a MD degree and use it in the US? I was reading around online and saw someone said that a lot of American students go to the Caribbean to get their degrees and then some people said foreign degrees aren't acceptable and you'd have to do the whole thing over. Any information would be great. Thank you.

Most foreign degrees from good schools are acceptable. Generally they have to be listed on FAIMER or IMED at the very least. On top of that some states like California and others who follow California's rules, are tougher and your school has to be on their list as well. Out of the Caribbean only 4 schools have all 50 state approval, SGU, Ross, SABA and AUC i believe.

Generally though schools that are from most 1st world countries are usually recognized but always be sure to check the MBC (medical board of california) list and FAIMER IMED.

Just because the school is recognized doesn't mean you can automatically just become a doctor in the US. You need to pass the licensing exams called the USMLE (which is very difficult). In fact, you have to actually get a high score on the USMLE in order to apply for residencies which is basically post-graduate medical training every doctor needs to do.

If you study abroad you need a higher score or better application to compete against people who studied in the US. This is why most people do medical school in the US or encourage others to do so, going abroad means its difficult to come back.

Depends on your goals.
Competitive specialty? stay in the US.
Primary care? Go abroad pay 1/3 the cost and come back. You can finish medical school and be only 5 figures in dept with no parental support. Choose the right schools. Primary care is no problem for IMGs.

If your gonna go abroad. Go to Europe, instead of the Carribean. The schools are better and cheaper.

I am living, breathing, walking, talking proof that it is possible to leave the USA, go to a Caribbean school, and then get a residency in the USA. But >50% of the students who started with me ended up either dropping/failing out of med school or just not getting residency. It is a serious gamble and I will advice you strongly to try to get into a US school first as you will have many more choices for residency, better training and so forth.