getting DO LOR after submitting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sflanigan23

Reaction score
So, I was going to submit my application early and send my application to the couple of schools that don't require a DO letter, then later on add schools that do once I can get a DO to shadow and write me a letter (hopefully lol). I pretty sure you can't change you application after you submit, so it I do this would adcoms "mentally add" my new hours that I will get noted in the letter on to my application? or will they only consider the shadowing hours I already have? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you update the school later on in the cycle of your new hours it should be fine. You can add a DO LOR later, however most schools ask you to specify a physician LOR on their secondaries which means you won't be able to complete some without a physician LOR. If you have an MD LOR and are waiting for a DO LOR you can complete all applications with the MD LOR and email the schools when you upload your DO LOR. Some schools like a formal update letter.

Just don't wait too long. If a letter is not required and your application is complete it may have already been reviewed. Schools may not want to go back to review a file if a letter is added later. An application should be totally complete when sent to be sure that it is reviewed the way you want it to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to wait to add the schools the require on until i get the letter, but apply to 1 or 2 schools that don't require them so i can get my application verified and what not. do you think this is a bad idea? should i just wait until i can get a letter to sumbit at all? I'm just worried with covid, all my shadowing plans fell through so I'm not sure when i can get the letter

I was going to wait to add the schools the require on until i get the letter, but apply to 1 or 2 schools that don't require them so i can get my application verified and what not. do you think this is a bad idea? should i just wait until i can get a letter to sumbit at all? I'm just worried with covid, all my shadowing plans fell through so I'm not sure when i can get the letter
What is your time frame?

Well I was going to submit soon so I get verified and maybe get secondaries from the couple of schools i submit to first and I am hoping to shadow as soon as hospitals start allowing people to do that again, but Im hoping i can do some in july/august