Getting Great Private Practice Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I'm only an MS4, I'm thinking a little ahead here.

How hard is it to get a great private practice job? (probably as part of a large - ?lucrative? - group in a desirable location; Boston/Seattle/SF)

At the risk of seeming like a gunner, I'm wondering if there are things I should be doing throughout residency to make myself a desirable job candidate.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You may need to define your parameters a bit better:

Lucrative? Does that mean 100k/year or 400k/year or somewhere in between.

Location? I think Boston and NYC already have a surplus of pyschiatrists, not sure about the others.

Work hours/Call? Not directly addressed in your post, but you do want to join a group; I'm inferring that you want to do so in order to share call.

Finding a balance of those three things is ultimately what will make you happy; that balance is something we all have to find in our own way.

Location? I think Boston and NYC already have a surplus of pyschiatrists, not sure about the others.
Definitely add San Francisco to the list.

From what I've seen, the more popular and cosmopolitan the city is, the more psychiatrists already there. If you're gunning for lucrative, Texas and midwest seem to offer a lot more opportunities for a lot more money.