Getting HCE while taking pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to earn my Bachelor's and finish up my pre-reqs so I can apply to the PA program eventually (I decided that I don't want to pursue pharmacy anymore, which was my initial plan). I plan on shadowing some PAs this summer...

However, the only HCE I have is working as an Aide in a Physical Therapy practice. My school said that this does count...

However, I really wanted to become a Medical Assistant, since it seems a bit more appropriate considering I'm going into a PA program and not a PT program. I'm 21 years old and going to school full-time and also have a part-time job as a Pharmacy Technician at CVS.

Considering it takes almost 2 years to become a Medical Assistant, I'm just so lost on how I'm supposed to balance out taking my pre-reqs/getting my Bachelor's, become a Medical Assistant, and working my part-time job so I have some money in my pocket while in school. I don't want anything to affect my main schoolwork and hurt my GPA.

Any advice is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

To be really honest, I know several people with HCE that was less interactive/rich/relational to being a PA who got into PA school and are doing fine. One was a phlebotomist, one a veterinary assistant, and one worked in a mental health care facility as an aide. I would work on getting the best grades you can in pre-reqs and focus on making strong relationships with the people you work with as a physical therapy assistant. Just my .02- I may be wrong but I think your experience with PT is actually pretty good HCE in light of some of the HCE I've seen others have before applying to PA school.

medical asst programs are 6 mo long or 9 mo if you want the ltd xray cert as well.
they only take 2 yrs if you want an a.s. degree out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
medical asst programs are 6 mo long or 9 mo if you want the ltd xray cert as well.
they only take 2 yrs if you want an a.s. degree out of it.

Where can I find a program like that?

Do most Medical Assistants do a training program before starting, or can you be trained on the job?

They are usually very expensive certificate programs, not commensurate with what you'll make post completion.

They are usually very expensive certificate programs, not commensurate with what you'll make post completion.
the exception being the programs that also grant a Ltd xray cert.
I work with some of these folks and they make $20-25/hr.
not bad for high school + 9 months of training.

in AZ these (limited xray scope) are called practical techs (no dual MA cert though)

I have rarely seen them used in my 20+ years, as they can only shoot extremities...

probably useful in orthopedic practices though..

worked with one at Cigna, she made 12/hour (around 1999)

Are medical assistants and physician assistants the same thing? :D

in AZ these (limited xray scope) are called practical techs (no dual MA cert though)

I have rarely seen them used in my 20+ years, as they can only shoot extremities...

probably useful in orthopedic practices though..

worked with one at Cigna, she made 12/hour (around 1999)

in my state the Ltd xray cert ma's can do chests, c-spine, etc. anything except fluoro or ct.
they are used interchangeably with regular xray techs at 1 facility I work at and can also do the full scope of ma work(draw blood, injections, etc)

Would AdComm's consider volunteer firefighting/EMS a good way to obtain HCE?

Each school is different in how much and what types of HCE they want. The best way to get the correct answer is to ask the schools you're planning to apply to.

My experience: I applied to and was accepted by 2 schools: Kettering and Marietta. They both accepted my years as a FF/medic: paid & vollie, approx. 30 years, as sufficient.