Getting hired for a summer job as a CNA vs. EMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Labe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided for clinical experience to work as either a CNA or EMT. My main concern is which position its easier to be hired in. I would only be able to work over the summer for either job and thus need to find a temporary position. So far from what I can gather, it's easier to become hired for a temporary job as CNA just from going online and looking at the number of temporary positions available. For my area, there are nearly 50 temporary CNA listings vs. only 1 temporary EMT listing. I was wondering if anybody had personal experiences regarding how much harder it might be to get a summer only job as an EMT?

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick CNA, because paid emt jobs are usually private companies which is not that good clinical exp. What you actually might do though is to join your local fire dept or university ems squad as a volunteer emt, this should be good.

It's possible to just work for the summer as an EMT- I got hired as an EMT for a summer but then ended up working there for the rest of my undergrad since it worked out well. There are also some summer camps that specifically hire EMTs.

Otherwise I know some areas accept EMTs for CNA positions. If that's the case where you live, you can get your EMT and apply for both EMT and CNA jobs.

I worked as a CNA (it seems like all my replies have been CNA related hahaha). I took a month long course, which was delivered mostly online. Some skills I needed to go in person for to demonstrate like CPR and brief changes. The hard thing right now is finding a place that will be able to allow you to do clinicals and sign off on your skills checks. It was really nice being able to work closely with patients, both those recovering and those staying long term or on hospice. I really think it built bedside etiquette for me personally. It can be stressful, especially if your place of employment is understaffed, but it can be rewarding in so many ways. In my eyes it has its advantages over being an EMT, and has less training involved if I remember correctly. Just my two cents