getting hired @ IPPE site

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmasaur

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What can I do to impress my preceptor at my hospital IPPE site? I know they hire interns the summer after first year. I already do the basics like dress professionally, come on time, don't ask to leave early, ask questions, etc...anything else? At the same time I don't want to be annoyingly over-eager. Thanks 🙂
 
What can I do to impress my preceptor at my hospital IPPE site? I know they hire interns the summer after first year. I already do the basics like dress professionally, come on time, don't ask to leave early, ask questions, etc...anything else? At the same time I don't want to be annoyingly over-eager. Thanks 🙂

Get along with everyone you work with, including the techs. If the staff likes you, they will want to work with you in the future.
 
What can I do to impress my preceptor at my hospital IPPE site? I know they hire interns the summer after first year. I already do the basics like dress professionally, come on time, don't ask to leave early, ask questions, etc...anything else? At the same time I don't want to be annoyingly over-eager. Thanks 🙂
make it known that you're interested?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Get along with everyone you work with, including the techs. If the staff likes you, they will want to work with you in the future.

Great advise! You are a 1st level. People don't have much expectation in terms of your knowledge. Bring something like donuts for the staff on the last day of your IPPE.
 
Get along with everyone you work with, including the techs. If the staff likes you, they will want to work with you in the future.

Yup, especially if you work in a hospital. Treat the techs well. They gossip a lot and they can help you get a job
 
We barely remember our APPE students, I probably couldn't even tell you the names of our IPPE students today.
 
i will, last day....i dont wanna bring it up too early..

Don't do it the last day. Ask like in the middle of the rotation about potential jobs. They will probably be like, "well the next 2-3 weeks will be like an interview for you". Kick ass in the next 2-3 weeks and you'll probably wind up with a job at the end of it, or maybe in the future.
 
Get along with everyone you work with, including the techs. If the staff likes you, they will want to work with you in the future.

But I can't tell if they're just being nice or if they actually like me. I heard good things at my evaluation, and they seem happy to see me when I see someone from the pharmacy on days when I'm doing some shadowing.

How do you tell if they say good things to every student or if it's just you?
 
But I can't tell if they're just being nice or if they actually like me. I heard good things at my evaluation, and they seem happy to see me when I see someone from the pharmacy on days when I'm doing some shadowing.

How do you tell if they say good things to every student or if it's just you?

Place where I did my IPPE and then got hired as a pharmacy intern, they'd always tell me if the IPPE/APPE students they had from my school during that month were ****ty or good.
 
Place where I did my IPPE and then got hired as a pharmacy intern, they'd always tell me if the IPPE/APPE students they had from my school during that month were ****ty or good.

So if the staff pharmacists said good things, then it's all good?